Refilling HP #14 carts (black and tri-colour) questions...

DavoC770

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi All,
HP 14 carts are very expensive here in Oz, I would like to refill mine but the carts have a chip in them that communicates with the printer (mine is a cp1160) so that when the cart is empty the printer still says that cart is empty after you refill it. I know you can disable the 'cart empty' sensing on the printer but then you don't know how much ink is left in the carts.
I looked into this a year or so back (maybe more) and there was an outfit (in South Africa I think) that were selling replacement chips you could stick on the carts, but they were a bit pricey too and I think they may have been a use once thing.

So, has anyone any advice, experience, suggestions as to:
1) Where to get inexpensive replacement #14 carts that give good results (hopefully in Oz)
2) How to circumvent the cp1160 'cart empty' message but still retain ink level monitoring after a refill

:/

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)

DavoC770

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks Grandad,
Didn't get a chance until just before I logged back into here to do some searching. Found those sites and a lot more but the biggest problem is going to be that the printer will refuse to work when the cart expiry date is reached.
However, I found a bunch in UK http://www.printerowners.co.uk/hpchipreset.htm who sell resettable chips you stick on the carts and a resetting device, I'm waiting for a reply to questions I have about it all. A bit pricey but if it works as it seems to indicate then it'll be worth it.

Cheers,
Dave.
;)

DavoC770

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Well, I got a reply to my questions, here's my e-mail and the response:

Thank you for your email. Our resettable chips do not reset the expiry date as this information is contained in a highly complex algorithm which has not been decoded. Therefore the No 14 chips have an expiry date of approximately 15 months in the future and these are regularly updated once HP produce new No 14 cartridges with new expiry dates on them. You will find that at some time in the future the chip will not be recognised by the printer and new chips will be required.

As for the ink level monitoring function, Im sorry but I cannot comment authoritatively on that. I would have thought that this is software driven rather than dependant on the chip.

Regards,
Martin
------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Martin Broad
Managing Director, BMS Ltd
45 Casterbridge Road, Ferndown, Dorset BH22 8LJ
Tel/ Fax 01202 893166
Mobile 07989 356363
Incorporating www.printerowners.co.uk

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 06 January 2006 02:37
To: sales@printerowners.co.uk
Subject: Resettable chips for HP No14 inkjet cartridges

Hello,
I have just discovered your web site and would like to purchase chips and a resetter for HP No14 black and colour inkjet cartridges, but before I do I need to know whether the cartridge expiry dates are reset as well as the ink level gauge feature for each.

My printer is a HP cp1160.

So, with your resettable chips installed will I be able to use cartridges again and again without having to worry about expiry dates or disabling the printer ink gauge as per the printer manual?

Also, I disabled the ink gauge feature for the black cart last night but I can't see how to turn it back on, will it automatically turn itself back on when a new cart (or one with your chip on) is installed?

Many thanks,
Dave.

d86cfv

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

With regards to the chips, it might be worth finding your nearest Cartridge World and speaking nicely to them over the phone. They will use re-settable chips from ThinkTank and they also have a re-setter, the guy who wrote to you is correct with the 15 month thing, this is not as complicated as he makes out. Bascially the chip MUST have an exp' date on it for the chip to function and the max is 15 months, I think its 15 months from installation, rather than 15 months from date of chip manufacture.

With regards to the ink levels, they will re-set to full (ours only ever re-set to 99% for some reason!) once you have put the new chip on the cartridge, make sure it is lined up correctly otherwise you will get the "bad cartridge" error or "bad chip". The old ones flick off with a sharp knife, and the new ones usually come with a small peice of double sided tape.

Cost wise I dont know what CW would charge you, the chips I know are very expensive (around 5.00 UKP)

Whilst searching about i came across this site:

http://www.smartchipsolutions.com/productlist.asp?id=1507&name=HP 14 CHIPS

This has the chips, and auto reset chips which sound interesting!

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

D

MiamiGeorge

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Refilling hp #14 cartridge
I Have been trying desperately to figure out how to disable the ink level gauge on the D series hp officejet printers precisely my d145 and the #14 cartridges and have found many ways to do this, however, all of the instructions that I have found leave out 1 or 2 simple phrases that make it impossible to do.
Perform these operations for color ad black separately for each cartridge
1. Refill your cartridge
2. the refilled cartridge must be installed in the printer before you begin this procedure!
3. before you get started the LCD panel must be showing the date or the procedure will not work, you may have to press enter or cancel then enter again.
4. Then Press the <(-) and (+)> located under the LCD panel (at least on the d145) at the same time, THEN RELEASE QUICKLY! I cant emphasize that enough!
5. FOR BLACK On the keypad, press in order 7, 8, 9.
6. FOR TRICOLOR press 4,5,6.
7. A message will appear asking if you want to override the ink level gauge. Press 1 for yes (You can later turn the ink gauge back on if you install a new cartridge by going through steps 2 and 3, then pressing 2 when prompted if you want to override the ink level gauge).
Your ink level gauge is now turned off and can resume printing.
Since it is so easy to refill, Dont wait until the cartridge is empty to refill because a dry cartridge will be ruined if it runs dry because the ink prevents the print head from melting from the heat needed to perform the printing task.

canoninkuser

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
there are remanufacted hp 14 cartridges out there, so it might save you from refilling it and the mess.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Those are still more expensive then refilling. Before throwing them away why not try your luck and give it a shot of ink?