refilling cli-8pm and some others Cannon Pro 9000II

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Darth said:
I bought some cartridges on Ebay, but I am finding "purging" to be a PTA. Since I use the German method of refilling, I don't want to drill a new hole in the top. I have been trying to purge by running water in the outlet port and then using paper towels folded up to wick the water and remaining ink.
Messy and PTA. Is there an easier way?
Purging all the ink out of your cartridges is easy but it does take time no matter which way you go about it.

By just dribbling a small amount of water onto the outlet of your cartridge from a tap (Water faucet) and leave it to get on with it itself,
the ink with all flow out the air maze on the top of the cartridge in time.

You could also remove the refill ball to speed up purging and then seal up the hole afterwards
and you can still use the German method for all youre refilling.

Here are two links to purging that I found for you, they just might help.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=59370#p59370
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=63019#p63019

Darth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you, I ordered the clips from Octoinkjet.

Darth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am still not happy with the system. Purging with the new clips from Octoinkjet works pretty good, but refilling with the German method afterwards doesn't work worth a d....!
The german method works wonderfully with my original carts when low, but in trying to get a duplicate set after purging results in the sponge just absorbing a small area near the bottom next to the tank. Since it doesn't quite reach the outlet, sucking on the top of the cart doesn't always pull any more ink from the reservoir. The one time it did, I got the dreaded Magenta lip and tongue disease.

Maybe my water is not as soft as I thought it was.

I use 4 oz bottles of ink with a luer lock and needle in each for my normal refilling, so for now, I am trying to leave each partially refilled cart on the needle with the bottle setting back up. This holds the cart with the reservoir at the top. Maybe, they will eventually absorb more ink in the sponge. Maybe I am just too impatient:rolleyes:

I have noticed that I am getting a lot of bubbles in the reservoir as the ink leaves into the sponge area. I think they impede the flow. I use OCP ink/

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
You should recondition your cartridge before refilline, so the sponge becomes much more hydrophilic and can absorb more ink.

Reconditioning solution:

3 % propylene glycol
20 % isopropanol or ethanol
destilled water up to 100 %

use this solution to completely soack the sponges and blow away the excess afterwards and let it dry thoroughly. If it is still a bit moist: no problem at all.
Then refill your cartridges and your problem with your cartridge not able to absorb ink, should have gone now.

Darth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Purging still is a PITA, even with the Octoinkjet purge clips. The reservoir fills even tho there is no vent, how does this happen?. I've even tried stock carts with no hole anywhere. Trying to empty the reservoir using my German method results in contamination of the sponges which causes more purging, etc.

Haven't tried the results of the conditioning fluid (used glycerine) yet as I am still waiting for them to dry. Maybe today.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
When your purging using the purge clips you use a 60 ml syringe and inject clean water into the cart
and if there is no refill hole in the top, just suck the ink/water mix back into the syringe again.

If you do this several times youll get all of the sponge clean and the reservoir empty too.

The wicking method will pull out nearly all of the remaining water inside the cartridge after only half an hour or so
and then the cartridge can be refilled without the need for any conditioning.

You can also use pharmacist conditioner straight after empting all of the water out of your cart
without having to wait for the sponge inside to dry then use the wicking method.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=34175#p34175

Darth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
When your purging using the purge clips you use a 60 ml syringe and inject clean water into the cart
and if there is no refill hole in the top, just suck the ink/water mix back into the syringe again.

If you do this several times youll get all of the sponge clean and the reservoir empty too.
Doesn't work.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Darth said:
The Hat said:

Doesn't work.
I wouldnt have explained how to do it to you if it wasnt going to work,
Just take it slowly and give it another try, youll be surprised just how affective it really is.. :)

Darth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
Darth said:
The Hat said:

Doesn't work.
I wouldnt have explained how to do it to you if it wasnt going to work,
Just take it slowly and give it another try, youll be surprised just how affective it really is.. :)
Unfortunately now the adapter came loose from the clip. So I have to wait for the new one or try to glue this one back on. I tried epoxy and then cyanoacrylate, both without success. Don't know what Octoinkjet used.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Darth said:
Unfortunately now the adapter came loose from the clip. So I have to wait for the new one or try to glue this one back on. I tried epoxy and then cyanoacrylate, both without success.
Just use this.
7413_filladapter.jpg

It's just tubing stuck together with a little epoxy for good measure. You won't need the bend for purging. Just suck deionized or distilled water through the vent, and it will clean out the sponge nicely.