Refilling CLI-8 makes printing slower ?

Serville

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
http://www.alotofthings.com/viartshop/article.php?category_id=8&article_id=202

Quote:
--------

Canon PIXMA iP4200, iP5200, iP5200R, iP6600D, MP500, MP800 & MP950 will run slower if using refilled cartridges according to Canon. CLI-8 based printers will run slower using refilled cartridges.
According to Canon technical support the following printers which use CLI-8 ink tanks will perform slower when printing multi-page documents on refilled cartridges:
Canon PIXMA iP4200, iP5200, iP5200R, iP6600D, MP500, MP800, MP950.
What is not mentioned by Canon is that this also occurs on new third party replacement cartridges if those cartridges are using Canon chips on them. (Such as the G&G CLI-8 replacements without chip)
According to Canon technical support the print speed will recover once you have remove and reset the ink tank in the printer. In other words... Once you buy another one of their cartridges.

Can anyone confirm this true ?
It doesn't say IP4300, IP3500, IP4500. Anybody with IP4300 wants to share experience ?
Thanks

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I haven't noticed a printing speed change when switching to compatibles.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I do not see a technical difference between refilling and attaching the orginal chip on aftermarket cartridges. The printer can only recognize the chip (full or empty or faulty and the right one on the right place). But I'm wondering this rumour is true. I can not see any difference in printing speed or it should be only marginal.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
IIRC it's true in the sense that the printer will wait a little longer for ink drying but even that can be adjusted using the printer maintenance options.

I've seen a small amount of evidence for this sort of behaviour but in fairness if people barely notice it, who cares? It works, it's cheaper than buying a new car every year :)