Refilling CLI-221 Cyan with Hobbicolors

15kywalker

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello -

I've recently started refilling my MX860 cartridges using Hobbicolors and squeeze bottles from Octoinkjet. I was able to refill the pigment black (PGI-220) and magenta (CLI-221) cartridges with no problem and without any spills, but whenever I handle the Cyan, it is really messy. I was able to pour the bottle from hobbicolors into the octoinkjet bottles okay for the other colors (no spills), but something about the cyan always resulted in a spill and ink flowing down the sides of the bottle.

1) What does it mean if some ink comes out of the air vent at the top during ink filling? Is this a problem?

2) Does anyone else have trouble with working with Cyan in particular?

Thanks.

IanYY

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
1) What does it mean if some ink comes out of the air vent at the top during ink filling? Is this a problem?
Yes, it is a problem. Ink coming out of the air vent implies the sponge is fully/over saturated. This is discussed in this recent topic ... http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5338

In that link, you are advised to squeeze the sponge chamber to eliminate 5-6 drops of ink. This will relieve some of the oversaturation, but I think this only works properly if you seal the air vent temporarily with tape while squeezing the sponge chamber - something to do with maintaining the correct air pressure within the chamber, I think.

If you are using the German Durchstich technique for refilling and getting ink out of the air vent, I suggest one of the following is happening:

1. You are not getting the needle all the way into the ink chamber, so you are injecting directly into the sponge chamber.

or

2. You are holding the cartridge with the exit hole downwards while filling. This will let ink flow into the sponge chamber while filling - bad. You should hold the cartridge so there is an air gap between the end of the needle and the sponge, and stop filling as soon as that air gap disappears. Then turn the cart over (exit hole downwards) and allow the ink to soak into the sponge. Then turn it again to the filling position and carry on refilling until the new air gap just disappears. That's it - don't try to get any more ink in.

or

3. The sponge is damaged and there is a route for ink to reach the air vent without passing through the sponge. Scrap the cartridge.

Ian

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Your aforementioned problem can occur. The cure is blowing the ink back into the bottle with your mouth covering the breathing hole (close the german durchstich refill hole with your finger) until it is almost completely dry. Watch out: at the end the ink tends to foam, this is normal. Clean the cartridge with some paper towels and now refill again using the german durchstich refill method, but now at a slower rate. Your problem should be gone now.