Refilling BCI-6 cartridges for my Canon i9900

TagRiis

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I've just about given up trying to save money by refilling these cartridges. I finally got a clip that seals off the exit hole while I'm refilling, and it works rather well. Now, however, I have big ink blots (they looked black at first, now are more of a reddish color) all over my test page. What have I done wrong this time??

CanonPhreak

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
One of two things is wrong:

1. The fill hole is not sealed fully.

2. You have overfilled the cartridge

based on the description I would give #1 the greater likelihood.

TagRiis said:
I've just about given up trying to save money by refilling these cartridges. I finally got a clip that seals off the exit hole while I'm refilling, and it works rather well. Now, however, I have big ink blots (they looked black at first, now are more of a reddish color) all over my test page. What have I done wrong this time??

TagRiis

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
How do I correct the problem?

CanonPhreak

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Are you filling original canon cartridges or a third party brand cartridge? Tell me the procedure you are using for filling your cartridges. To resolve the problem i need to know exactly what you do to refill.

TagRiis said:
How do I correct the problem?

TagRiis

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
They are original cartridges, with third-party ink. I take them out, remove the rubber ball (this is the first time I refilled these particular cartridges), put it in the clip, fill the cartridge, use a screw to plug the entry hole, then take it out of the clip and load it into the printer.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Make sure the cartridge stops dripping completely before it putting back into the printer. If it drips, you have an air leak around the screw areas. I suspect you damaged the seating area around the ball when removing it. Use some blu tack or putty to seal around the screw before tightening it down.

TagRiis

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ah, I see. Thank you for the help. I also bought a third-party cartridge, it has a little rubber stopper and you dont have to remove it from the printer to refill it. It works very well for me...but I only bought two. And the box doesn't have the website on the package (talk about bad marketing). I can't seem to remember the site, or find it in my history. If you know of a cartridge like that, please let me know. Thank you agian!

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Tagriis - Look up the technique for sealing Canon OEM carts with a stainless steel pan head sheet metal screw and o-ring on this forum. With that technique I've never had a cart leak in the printer.