Refilled my CISS for the first time..... Problems with air?

beatnik

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
To start off i have read about my problem for a bit before posting here although I have only found out how to re prime the cartridges although my system has no rubber stoppers on the cartridges to use to prime. My system is a cmyk system and has worked fine for almost 2 years (this is my first refill) also they dont make them for my printer anymore either its an all in one printer scanner Epson cx4500.

Well first i let the black ink too low before i refilled it but I dont think that could effect the other colors as their is air in the lines. The only way i can get the ink to flow is to use gravity (placing the res. higher than the printer which is a no no) or to actually blow into the air valves.

(i think the air valves are the problem???)

Basically AFAIK the res has 2 chambers one is sealed the other, which the ink flows has a one way air valve. it seams the air is going both directions in the air valves. (IDK why they do not work though?) I think i can get some new ones at a pet store or aquarium store as back flow stoppers for air pumps (i worked in a poet shop and they basically do the same thing let air go through but not let water in to foul up the motor)

I hope i have given enough information on my system (i have never even seen another one besides mine so idk what type it even is?) i read they make bag and reservoir versions of these so IDK what i have. Since their is no way to prime is mine a bag version??? it looks VERY similar to the ones sold on continuous-ink-systemsDOTcoDOTuk as thats how the reservoir part looks although without the air cap.

In all I wanted to know that the best think for me to do would be I can take some pictures of My CISS if needed as i dont plan on using cartridges again and since my printer is old they dont sell or make them anymore and and i would have to get a new one printer to get a new CISS system.

TO hell with the INK mongers the stuff is more expensive than JET fuel (at least in cartridges they are!)

Any help is appreciated!!!!!!!

TIA

beatnik

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
well stupidly after messing with my CISS all day yesterday wondering about the air valves (why they are not working) or what other reason i have that the system is not giving my cartridges ink? one thing i can tell you is the system i have looks almost exactly like this http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/88/fillay.jpg/ posted by another user although i dont have the empty or clear fluid tank just the 4 ink tanks. also just like this image the filters are all colored. Does ink damage these?

beatnik

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Well i have been trying and trying and IDK what to do.
I still have either a suction, air pocket or some other problem I dont know how to remedy. Anyone with a Printer Panacea I will buy. LOL

The last thing i have tried was to use my syringe (without needle) i put it on top of the air valves and sucked up. When I did this I noticed that i cleared a few air bubbles, although it resulted in not helping at all.

SO IDK but I think I know what might have happened first i had no refill instructions for my system Which is a ink style CISS (at the time of purchase this printer is SO old, Epson all in one Stylus cx4500) it was the only one i was able to find, no retail website had them in stock as i said since the printer was old the only place i could find one was ebay and only one seller had one that was compatible with my system.

At this point i think i am going to look up somewhere if it is possible to remove all the ink from my system and remedy any problems with priming or air bubbles as my system seams to be a not so great one as their is no way (i know of) to prime the cartridges as their is no rubber stopper or anything I can figure out besides removing the ink tubes and then it wouldn't prime... so basically right now IDK what to do

So in a plea for a reply what would you do in this situation?
before you answer this question my printer is an Epson that uses CMYK ink T088 and i am on a budget. I dont print many photos as they dont come out that great although i wish i could. Basically this is for document printing, copying (it has a flatbed scanner) printing reports PDF file and i do print images but normally not as nice as a photo I think this particular printer just was not made to make lab quality prints IDK.

(1) forget CISS and get ink owl(or tell me of a better retailer that sells t088 refillable cartridges preferably with auto reset chips i dont want to use and buy a chip resetter.) refillable cartridges (i have plenty of ink as i just bought 4 oz of each C M and Y and i purchased 8oz of Black, this option costs me about $20 if i reuse the ink i have which is a dye based ink that is supposed to be UV resistant)

(2) fix the current CISS I have? if you choose this do you have any ideas how to do it or where i can look for the information?

(3) Buy this CISS ____________ you fill in the blank with a link or message me with one. I know some newer Epson printers sill use the T088 ink so I bet their is a system that would work for me although i dont wish to spend more than $40 USD

(4) Modify your current CISS ( i place this option because would it be possible to basically make my own Reservoir that works (i have seen pictures of systems as simple as a tube inserted into a bottle of ink through the cap? I am intermediately handy and can do most sorts of things if i actually knew how the systems work, i know its simple although what i have read hasn't stuck or sunk in as i learn better any way other than text such as, audio with pictures or better put that together and video so i will look on you tube to see how they work and maybe find out how to make one IDK.) I think if i can just get the Reservoir working correctly i have the cartridges with the correct chip for this printer (its the kind that has a manual reset button not the kind that reset every time you turn on your printer.)

Lastly i will not get into it as this is not the place but i need to do this on the cheap but also the best so yeah thats all. If i get no replies still after this post when i get the money i will buy refillable cartridges from Ink Owl as i know they sell cartridges for my printer and i have read they make good ones? if you know of a better maybe even cheaper cartridges dont leave me hanging and tell me if you can.

I thank anyone who has read this and i TYIA for replying I appreciate your help immensely.

PsyckoSama

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Try contacting the people you brought it from. If it was a reputable company they should be willing and able to help you troubleshoot.