Refilled my Canon PGI-520 / CLI-521 cartridges, need advice.

Nation99

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello, I removed the plastic seal ball from my empty canon PGI-520 / CLI-521 cartridges and after filling them I used a self tapping flange screw in place of the ball to seal. The flange of the screw must be shallow enough not to foul ( don't use panhead screws, they are not shallow enough ) the mechanism.

I used a scalpel knife to trim up the seal breaks on the orange protective cap and the bottom of the cartridge to get a good seal held on tight by an elastic band.

Everything seems to have worked out fine but I'm not sure if I need re-seal the air hole on the cartridge for storage until I actually use the cartridge again as I have a spare set of cartridges. I didn't seal the air hole before I filled up the cartridge, I'm not sure if I should have or not.

Thanks for your help.

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
If you intend for these to be your spare carts they need to be sealed airtight. Many people wrap them in Saran Plastic Wrap or put them into ziplock plastic bags, or both.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Mine have been stored successfully in a plastic food storage container with a tight fitting lid that essentially seals it. No problems.

Nation99

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Mowerman90 said:
If you intend for these to be your spare carts they need to be sealed airtight.
I will swap the cartridges over each time one runs down, so storage would be about 12 weeks at the most. I will still store them air tight s you suggest, thanks.