Refilled HP cartridges causing major problems. WHY? Please Help !

B105

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I've filled other HP inkjet cartridges b4 BUT.....this time I'm really stumped!
I have an HP 845c inkjet printer that takes no. 15 & 17 cartridges.The colour one fills from the top & the black has a ball bearing plug that is located underneath.I've followed the refilling inst exactly.The blk states that I must fill it until overflowing then squeeze any excess air out & insert a grub screw in the hole where the ball bearing was.It seemed obvious that it would leak thru the thread so I dripped a bit of hot wax on it to seal it(which I read on other forums afterwards is what usually happens). I also filled the colour cartridges as per inst.Both leaked onto some pad as they should.The cartridges seem to be taking turns on working when I operate the cleaning utility.One works then the other doesnt.If I put them on a pad they flow fairly easily. What the?

B105

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Not many people on this forum is there!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
B105 said:
Not many people on this forum is there!
I think it's more a case of "not many HP printer users on here"... The predominant experience base seems to be more Canon orientated...

You could try Steve's Forums... someone might be able to help there.

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
You will need to let some more ink to flow out until the ink is no longer pooling below the nozzle. It is a comon mistake to refill too much ink into the cartridge. Printing when there is a pool of ink below the nozzle ink will be shooting into the pool instead of on the paper below. You will get drops of ink on your paper too. If there is no paper in the printer to capture the drops they fall into the printer. Very messy as a result.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
B105, sprinkle hot distilled water on some paper towels and soak your cartridges' heads on them for 2-3 minutes.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
For the #15 black..get a bottom filler. Costs only 2 dollars or so, and works great 100% of the time. As for the # 17 (as well as the 23 and 78 which are identical), e-mail me and I'll send you vey specific instructions.

steven.va

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MAXIFY MB5050
Hello

I have an HP 890C wich uses near identical cartridges (HP 23 and HP 45 for black)
The best advice for the black (HP15) is the one from Manuchau!
I have one of these bottom fillers too...and it's so easy filling the black cart. No drilling required! My succes rate for the 45 is almost 100% with this tool.

As far as the HP17 (23 in my case) inject inkt into the sponge. Stop injecting ink when it drips, and take back one or 2cc's! Be sure to clean of the nozzle plate afterwards (to avoid contamination of the inks in different chambers!)

Now...is one of more colors is still missing...then there is air inside the print head/behind the filter screen. The best way to eliminate this is to buy a cartridge priming tool (this will allow you to suck the air out of the bottom, mine is divided in 3 chambers, so I can prime only the "missing" color and leave the others alone)

After that my NR23 prints just fine

HTH and good luck!

Steven

steven.va

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MAXIFY MB5050
Pictures!

:)

Black filler 15/45
hp40fastfiller_1.JPG

Priming tool 23/17/78
hp23airpuller_2.jpg

B105

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thankyou for answers,I'll try to make this reply not to confusing.I've tried priming them both with moistened paper towels,they print for a moment then gradually fade.Secondly the black cart had a bearing which the instructions said to push in & when full use a grub screw to seal.It didnt so I then dripped a bit of wax on it to seal it.I'm looking at the yellow filler tool but cant see how exactly it is meant to fill.Also looking at the primer tool how does it pass thru the copper contacts.Where can you pick them up?
P.S. Another forum stated that HP programmed a use by/fil by date into the copper contacts so as to minimise refilling & of course put stupid amounts of money into their coffers.These cartridges have sat empty in machine for about a year.Moistened towel still showed imprints though before filling.

steven.va

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MAXIFY MB5050
>I've tried priming them both with moistened paper towels,they print for a moment >then gradually fade.

Do all 3 colors in the HP17 (Cyan, Magenta Yellow) fade?
You can test this by creating a test page with Cyan Magenta and Yellow bars
(use any favorite drawing program)

Did you run a cleaning cycle in the printer's software? Did it help?

>Secondly the black cart had a bearing which the instructions said to push in & when >full use a grub screw to seal.It didnt so I then dripped a bit of wax on it to seal it.

Well done!

>I'm looking at the yellow filler tool but cant see how exactly it is meant to fill.

Have a look at the blue arrow. You fill *thru the print head* itself.
This has the nice advantage that any ink blockage is also "cleaned" automatically.
I find the 15/45 one of the easiest carts with this handy clip.

>Also looking at the primer tool how does it pass thru the copper contacts.Where can >you pick them up?

I bought mine at http://www.millennium.be/
but suspect you're not from Belgium. (hmm, they are also shipping to whole Europe)

[ hp 17/23/78 color cart ]
The priming tool has a rubber underside. It presses against the print head.
It's divided in 3 places...each place correspondends with one color. with a syringe you can suck a vacuum, and force ink out of the nozzles/cart.

>P.S. Another forum stated that HP programmed a use by/fil by date into the >copper contacts so as to minimise refilling & of course put stupid amounts of money >into their coffers.

Some do, but these don't really have a chip that renders them useless after a certain date.
They do however have a cartridge ID (wich will prevent you using the higher capacity NR 45 black instead of the NR 15)

These cartridges have sat empty in machine for about a year.Moistened towel still showed imprints though before filling.
I bet al lot of the no-flow problems come from this
you can try this as a last resort:

* Heat water until it boils
* Put the hot water in a cup
(+- 1 cm/inch is enough, we only have to soak the print head, not the whole cart!)
* Place the black cart for about 10 minutes in it

* be sure the clean the water of the gold contacts before using

(repeat for the HP 17)

The other option is to find these 2 tools
(they were not really expensive at around 8$)

Hope this helps

Steven