refilled cartridge, but it keeps dripping

jbclem

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm trying to refill cartridges for my Canon ip6000d, and Canon ip4000. I tried the German(?) way, which was hard because the needle isn't long enough to go all the way (horizontally) to the tank. And then couldn't stop the cartridge from dripping even after taping the entry hole. I then tried the standard refill way, following instructions from precisoncolors, but have the same problem. After refilling, and putting the plug into the refill hole, the outlet hole keeps dripping.

I read that this is caused by an air leak in the tank side, so I put some electrical tape over the plug, but that hasn't fixed the problem.

Could someone help me with this...what are all the possible causes of this dripping? I've tried two different cartridges, but keep getting the same problem.

John

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
German durchstich method: at least 2 inch long needle, otherwise DO NOT TRY THIS. You will inject the ink into the sponge, which you do not want to happen. YOU MUST INJECT INTO THE INK COMPARTMENT !!! This is the reason of your leakage.

Standard method: NO ELECTRIC TAPE !!! Use a glue glun instead. This is the exact problem why I do not like this method, because the slightest tiny hole will cause the cartridge to run empty.

jbclem

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the information...I definitely injected ink into the sponge, didn't know that was bad. But that was on the first cartridge, and what do I do with it, how can I still use it? For the next try, I'll get out the glue gun. The plug on the second cartridge didn't feel that snug.

BTW, where can I find the 2 inch long needles?

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Hot glue is the only reliable way to seal the hole if the plug isn't snug.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
jbclem said:
BTW, where can I find the 2 inch long needles?
If you are in the USA, I'll sell you some 18 gauge 2" needles with plugs to go on the end for $1 each plus $1 shipping. How many do you want?

But you have to use only the German method. No more messing with the seal on the reservoir.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Just a reminder that sealing the fill hole with the older top fill method works extremely well with a stainless steel pan head sheet metal screw with a tight fitting O-ring under it for a seal. I've never had a leaking cart. Had to replace the O-rings after lots of refills as they eventually stretch and flatten. This is pretty fast when using a low powered cordless electric drill/screw driver.

jbclem

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr, I received the needles. Thanks for making them available. And it sure is easier with the German method, fast and I didn't drip or spill a drop of ink anywhere. I'm sold on it!

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I never understand the method with drilling a hole above the ink chamber. I did this previously before I use the german durchstich refill method and it was always a complete mess on my finger, the table (cloth) and a lot of dripping. The german durchstich refill method makes it possible to completely refill the cartridge. I hope you all enjoy this easy refill method.