Refillable Ink Cartridges

burning

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Although I'm relatively new to this forum, I have an extensive history with purchasing ink cartridges and CISS from ebay. I'm always looking for the cheapest bang for my buck, and I have had good experience with majority of ebay cartridges. I do high volume printing, and have to fill every now and then. I have three different sets of ink cartridges purchased from ebay, aswell as a CISS. I'm sharing my experience, as people usually post 'Where should I buy my refillable ink cartridges from?'

When your buying ink cartridges from ebay, make sure they are prefilled, it's much easier to set up and use. You do not have to prime the cartridges and you can use them right of the bat once you receive them. Although the quality of ink is below par, simply run cleaning cycles or print documents to get rid of the Chinese ink. Majority of ink cartridges are similar in design, whether it be $20 carts sold on ebay or $60 sold on a reputable website. The only difference is the ink used, but that can easily be changed by running the carts clean, and refilling.

M

macbroom

You are lucky that you didn't post something like tihis in the Canon section.

I don't understand the double standard between Epson and Canon over the refillables especially when an Epson cart is like rocket science compared to a Canon cart with their double walls and spiral ink channels.

I can see your point as when I refilled my Epson R200 I had to wait a few hours and knock carts to eliminate banding.

burning

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
macbroom said:
You are lucky that you didn't post something like tihis in the Canon section.

I don't understand the double standard between Epson and Canon over the refillables especially when an Epson cart is like rocket science compared to a Canon cart with their double walls and spiral ink channels.

I can see your point as when I refilled my Epson R200 I had to wait a few hours and knock carts to eliminate banding.
I've never had a Cannon printer before, but thats mainly due to the fact that Epson owns the patents for CD printing in USA. Albeit, you can easily modify the Cannon printer by purchasing cd rollers and a tray on ebay, I just find it more economical to stick with Epson. I bought a Cannon Pro 9000 Mark II, but I sold it before even having a chance to test it due to it's large size.

Epson's are easy to refill, pop in a refillable cartridge and your ready to go. In regards to print quality, is the Epson or Cannon better?

M

macbroom

Thats why I got an Epson was to print CDs but in the past few years in Canada some of the Canon models like the MP 640 and the MG 6120s I have now print CDs. They don't even say it prints CDs on the Canon Canada website. Maybe they won the patent lawsuit in Canada but keep it on the down low so you don't all buy Canuck printers...eh

I find my MG 6120 does a better job on the CDs than my Epson used to.

burning

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
macbroom said:
Thats why I got an Epson was to print CDs but in the past few years in Canada some of the Canon models like the MP 640 and the MG 6120s I have now print CDs. They don't even say it prints CDs on the Canon Canada website. Maybe they won the patent lawsuit in Canada but keep it on the down low so you don't all buy Canuck printers...eh

I find my MG 6120 does a better job on the CDs than my Epson used to.
:) Who says I'm not from Canada. :rolleyes: I saw a few Cannon printers on sale, but doesn't mention anywhere on the box that it has CD printing capabilities.

All you have to do is play around with the settings on your Epson printer, change it to 'Premium Paper Presentation Paper Mate.' Make sure high speed mode is NOT enabled, and change quality settings to MAX DPI. You'll get wonderful looking dvd's in no time. Not sure how long it takes on your Cannon printer, but with the Artisan, it takes around a minute per disc....

M

macbroom

I just went up and looked at the box and there is only a little tiny cd symbol on one side with Spanish and the Purulator freight label to the Staples store covers the same thing on the English side. Maybe Mexican Canons print CDs too?

burning

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
macbroom said:
I just went up and looked at the box and there is only a little tiny cd symbol on one side with Spanish and the Purulator freight label to the Staples store covers the same thing on the English side. Maybe Mexican Canons print CDs too?
Maybe they do........how long does it take to print a disc on your cannon?

M

macbroom

It takes 85 seconds with print quality on high using acoustica cd/label print software.

55 second on standard print settings.

burning

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
macbroom said:
It takes 85 seconds with print quality on high using acoustica cd/label print software.

55 second on standard print settings.
I'll stick with my Epson Artisan printer for now. I thought the Cannon was much faster in regards to print speed. I guess there both up to par in printing speed.

M

macbroom

I got good service out of my R200, three years and over 20 refills. I fired it on the dump after it was froze up in < 0 c for two winters in storage and I lost the alignment tab for the resetter and the battery died.