Refillable CLI-221/PGI-220 carts from inkproducts.com ?

azuchrome

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Can anyone comment/advise on these refillable CLI-221/PGI-220 carts from inkproducts.com ?

http://www.inkproducts.com/ink-stor...tridges-For-IP4700-CLI-221C-CLI-22-p-796.html

They appear to use silicone or rubber plugs that sit flush with the top surface of the cart, and the pictures seem to imply a two-part sponge structure, though that may be a trick of the light. No chips of any kind, so moving chips from some Canon OEMs and using a resetter might be a reasonable option.

Thank you !

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Most of the comments regarding refilling and successful use with Canon printers conclude that refilling 3rd party refillable cartridges provide poor results in terms of ink flow, printhead problems, etc...

By all means check this with a bit more reading but the general consensus seems to be that flushing and refilling original Canon OEM cartridges is much more successful and a lot less hassle in the long term.

azuchrome

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've yet to read about a good and widely accepted flushing method here on the board - what I've read about mostly involves risking the integrity of the cart by adding new holes, in addition to any new holes created (or existing holes modified) to do the refill operations. Because of this, I think I'll likely refill the OEM carts no more than 5 or 6 times, then strip the chips and disgard the carts in favor of completely new OEM units - the savings will still be pretty substantial. If I had to use a 3rd party compatible cart, (1) I'd make sure it's made by - at the very least - a known brand (G&G, for example) and supported by the seller with a long warranty, and (2) I doubt I'd go the the trouble of refilling a compatible cart.

These inkproducts.com refillable carts appear to handle the refill hole problem nicely - a soft rubber stopper in a custom-fitted hole, with flush plug heads to held create an air-tight seal. I'd expect these carts should refill at least as many times as I plan to refill the OEMs = five or six times, maybe - before the sponges go dry, harden up, turn into werewolves, etc. I do wonder if anyone here has had any practical experience with these particular carts, though.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Azuchrome,

your last argument can be applied to these refillable cartridges as well: after five or six times and I think it will happen sooner than with original Canon cartridges, because the sponge material is far superior to these refillable cartridges. Have a look at my topic about refillint these cartridges using the german durchstich refill method on the Canon CLI-221/521/821 and the PGI-220/521/821 cartridges. It is very comprehensive using step by step pictures and warning you for some loopholes as well.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I just switched to these so I can rinse all my stratitec ink out of my G&G carts that I german fill. But they work very nicely and flow faster than oem. I bought mine much cheaper with free shipping from dealextreme.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25420

One thing you have to watch for is that they flow much faster so make sure after refilling you drip out all the excess, I blot out the ink outlet with a paper towel and I've had no problem with about 6 refill so far.

azuchrome

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
qwertydude: If the pictures at the Deal Extreme site are accurate, those carts are definitely not the ones I'm looking at at inkproducts.com. The ones I'm considering have pre-drilled refill holes over the ink tanks and color-coded silicone/rubber stoppers. The carts you link to don't appear to have a fill hole, at least according to the pictures. The flow rate is also a concern - if these carts flow "faster" than OEMs, it's possible that they could flood the inkjet heads, which won't help with print quality or, I'd suspect, head life.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
As long as you remove the excess drippage it doesn't flood the print head. I've always had problems with oem and flow issues after 15 or so refills to the point where I got fed up and bought some aftermarket, I like my G&G, literally dozens upon dozens of refills without needing a flushing.

But as for the carts, the pictures are wrong cause I ordered them and they didn't look like those, they look like the inkproducts ones, they have a silicone stopper with tab and a predrilled hole.