Refillable cartridge set for canon ip4500

Ash

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG5350
Yes thanks I found your excellent write up on the German method.

Do you know where I can get some sharper needles?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Where do you live ? In Europe it is much easier to obtain those needles:

The best are the Terumo 21G x 2" (about 5.08 cm). Increase the G-number (Gauge) and the needle diameter is smaller, but ink flow is significantly diminised and you will experience much more resistance when pushing the ink into the cartridge. So a good number is between 20 and 21 G to have optimal ink flow, but the length should be at least 2" (about 5 cm). 22G is still OK, but it will take more time and more resistance when pulling up the ink from your bottle.

As far I can say the best are the 21G x 2" needles.

Where can you obtain those needles ? Well in your local drugstore/pharmacy if your national legislation is allowing these needles to be sold.

Ash

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG5350
pharmacist said:
Where do you live ? In Europe it is much easier to obtain those needles:

The best are the Terumo 21G x 2" (about 5.08 cm). Increase the G-number (Gauge) and the needle diameter is smaller, but ink flow is significantly diminised and you will experience much more resistance when pushing the ink into the cartridge. So a good number is between 20 and 21 G to have optimal ink flow, but the length should be at least 2" (about 5 cm). 22G is still OK, but it will take more time and more resistance when pulling up the ink from your bottle.

As far I can say the best are the 21G x 2" needles.
I'm in the UK, any ideas where I can get the 21G x 2" needles

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
18 guage needle bore works perfectly fine with the Durchstich method. I prefer 18 guage because it takes less force to inject the ink and therefore it is easier to control the velocity of flow and foam formation. It is a very small improvement but I appreciate the benefit. In reality, any guage needle from 18 to 25 will do the job with the dye-based inks. (Don't use aftermarket pigmented Black PGI-5 ink in my Canon printer)

You'll probably want to stay with needle lengths equal to or greater than 50mm or 2 inches in order to traverse the sponged side of the cartridge and into the spongeless side in order to more easily control the flow of ink into the desired location.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Ash,

As I have said: your local pharmacy or drugstore ! They are very cheap, probably less than 1 pound for 10 pieces.

martop

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ash,

I posted this a while ago so will put it here,

>>Took me a while to find these and test them so if anyone from the UK has a need for replacement needles, surgical quality ones can be ordered on line, I got a delivery of 21g microlance 2 inch needles from these are ideal for refilling either top or german method as they just reach the prism.

These are very sharp !!

The company is www.midmeds.co.uk

The product code is Product Code: MD301155/10

They are sold in packs of 10 for less than 1 UK pound. <<

Be aware these are surgical type needles and are sharp, if your using the Durchstich method be carefull inserting them into the cart.

Ash

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG5350
martop said:
Ash,

I posted this a while ago so will put it here,

>>Took me a while to find these and test them so if anyone from the UK has a need for replacement needles, surgical quality ones can be ordered on line, I got a delivery of 21g microlance 2 inch needles from these are ideal for refilling either top or german method as they just reach the prism.

These are very sharp !!

The company is www.midmeds.co.uk

The product code is Product Code: MD301155/10

They are sold in packs of 10 for less than 1 UK pound. <<

Be aware these are surgical type needles and are sharp, if your using the Durchstich method be carefull inserting them into the cart.

yupkime

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
If anyone is looking for 2" x 21g needles in Canada, my pharmacist friend has about 95 left over after giving me 5 of them.
Let me know if you need some! :p