Refill OEM or use these?

BOYNTONSTU

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The easy refill route is not always the best refill method to use, so shortcuts should be avoided and if you fail to refill correctly the first time then try again, it’s better if the cartridge fails outside the printer then in.

Most 3rd party refill carts are just about the easiest carts to fill by a country mile, that’s what makes them so attractive, but they are also known not to give good continued ink flow when you need it most, which in turn can end up costing more than your printer is worth (Replacement print head)

If you have a problem using the German refill method then just switch to the top fill method till you can get the hang of the German method later, switching back is also very easy.

Here is a test print that will determine whether your cartridges are delivering sufficient enough ink for any photo you may want to print and not risk losing your expensive paper if it fails.

When you’re ready to print and have a good nozzle check then print just 3 of the test prints on standard quality and plain paper if they print successfully then your cartridge are working perfectly..

View attachment 2438 copy and save to use later..

You give good advice. Thanks. I will try your print test.

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
OEM carts are always better, if cart has some sort of sponge. The sponge in OEM is way more advanced.

Sigh.

Is anyone disputing that? But at a price ratio of 10:1 or more, generics are perfectly good for many users.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Sigh.

Is anyone disputing that? But at a price ratio of 10:1 or more, generics are perfectly good for many users.

Nobody said you should buy OEM new carts. You should refill only OEM carts as that means good value and good quality.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Sigh.

Agreed but that’s why there are so many guys on here seeking help and advice on how then can save their print head after their compatible carts went wrong.

The answer is usually found in the price, how on earth they can afford sell carts are such a ridiculously low price and guarantee they will work properly..

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Sigh.

Agreed. But, as Smile posted, find used OEM carts and refill them. This ultimately beats the price of prefilled aftermarket carts and gives you a better chance for consistent printer safety and color control. The only problem I've seen with the recommended inks on this forum is the most recent IS Magenta issue. Fortunately we have Mike on board to inform us as soon as the problem was recognized.

There may be decent aftermarket carts that can be trusted for refilling. My unhappy experience with them, however, dates back to one of my earliest post in this forum - Bci-6 Arrow carts. Although they were all "branded" the same, a closer examination of the ones that didn't feed well proved that the batch I bought was actually from two different manufacturers or at least two different molds. Continued use of the poorly feeding ones could have blown my print head. I realized that the poorly feeding carts had an insufficiently large air vent so I enlarged it. In addition, all the carts from this vendor had a single sponge that didn't function as well as OEM and didn't clean as well when purged. I dumped the whole lot and found a source for virgin used OEM carts. That ended my experimentation with non-OEM carts.

Some unsuspecting person who doesn't really understand much about these issues but simply goes with the cheap carts that look the same as OEM carts, assumes a risk that I'd rather not promote. For someone who does understand the potential problems and can evaluate the safety and efficacy of non-OEM carts - possibly with information from this or other web sites - their use is not unreasonable.

Nonetheless, If I am recommending the carts to refill for Canon printers, I'd stick with OEM. For those who wish to try non-OEM carts I would hope they have the knowledge to properly evaluate for the ones that are safe for their printers.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
I use both methods but only OEM. Generally prefer the German method I always seem to get a big air bubble coming out with top fill and can never completely fill the cart. I now do not bother to keep a spare set ready but refill as soon as I get a low ink warning. rightly or wrongly I believe doing this straight away maintains the ink bridge between the tank and sponge.

I have used Compatibles but only from good suppliers like Choice Stationary and IJT in the UK and then only when they have a good offer on. I am sticking to IS ink so far with excellent results.

I once bought clear refillable carts for a HP printer from an E-bay supplier and it was a disaster streaking and then the printer just stopped. I was lucky the printer was still under warranty and HP sent me a new head and a set of starter carts. I sold the printer and have stuck with Canon ever since with a lot of help from members on this Forum.