Refill OEM or use these?

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Find some empty OEM cartridges, drill 1 small hole and refill with the durchstich method, no mess if you know what to do.

I collected my stock by contacting people selling their (full) cartridges on 2nd hand websites because their printer died (or who offered a printer with printhead error) and gently asking them to send their empty ones to me, it costed me only the stamp.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score

BOYNTONSTU

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
OK I am convinced that the durchstich method is the way to go.

The durchstich method is quite an interesting thread.

One poster said that he refilled a cartridge 155 times! Wow!

I sure would like to learn from his experience.

What ink does he use and did it ever clog, etc.

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
If you are using a printer for office work and non-critical images, I find nothing wrong with using generic Chinese cartridges, other than the environmental costs involved. You may find your colors just fine, or you may find them a touch off. Depending on paper, of course.

I sort of think I had one fail in that the ink wouldn't flow. But otherwise, no problemo.

Each to their own.

BOYNTONSTU

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
If you are using a printer for office work and non-critical images, I find nothing wrong with using generic Chinese cartridges, other than the environmental costs involved. You may find your colors just fine, or you may find them a touch off. Depending on paper, of course.

I sort of think I had one fail in that the ink wouldn't flow. But otherwise, no problemo.

Each to their own.

I never had a printer that used pigment ink.

Do all ip4000 cartridges use pigment?

Does dye ink work OK for home use? (We have used Brother LC-51 dye for many years)

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
ip4000 uses bci-6 color dye carts plus one 3eBk black pigment based ink for text documents. The printer uses it when plain paper is selected.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
OEM carts are always better, if cart has some sort of sponge. The sponge in OEM is way more advanced.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Don't want to repeat the whole story
http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/flushing-why.9217/page-4
- in short: while refilling bci-6 OEM by "german durchstich" the following happens to me frequently:
the lower sponge (which is for ink transfer and therefor should suck ink well) is sucking slow, ink barely does reach the outlet..
..while upper sponge (which is for air exchange and therefore should suck less ink) is sucking fast. So ink could reach the air vent before the lower sponge is totally saturated..
(I know several work arounds like injecting ink directly in the lower sponge, but sometimes my carts are driving me mad

The sponge design in OEM carts may be indeed advanced... but nevertheless I will try some of these refill carts with plugs with one of my canon printers...

!! Anyway you have to pay attention on ink flow !! no matter what cart is used !!
Because canon nozzles will burn while printing without ink (from clog..air..empty cart..)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The easy refill route is not always the best refill method to use, so shortcuts should be avoided and if you fail to refill correctly the first time then try again, it’s better if the cartridge fails outside the printer then in.

Most 3rd party refill carts are just about the easiest carts to fill by a country mile, that’s what makes them so attractive, but they are also known not to give good continued ink flow when you need it most, which in turn can end up costing more than your printer is worth (Replacement print head)

If you have a problem using the German refill method then just switch to the top fill method till you can get the hang of the German method later, switching back is also very easy.

Here is a test print that will determine whether your cartridges are delivering sufficient enough ink for any photo you may want to print and not risk losing your expensive paper if it fails.

When you’re ready to print and have a good nozzle check then print just 3 of the test prints on standard quality and plain paper if they print successfully then your cartridge are working perfectly..

Cartridge Test..jpg copy and save to use later..