Refill Needles

Phill ODonoghue

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3000
I was after some syringes and needles for refilling my carts the other day and did not have time wait for these to arrive by mail.

I had a brainwave to contact surgical wholesalers to see if they supply retail customers. A local warehouse said yes and they had blunt needles in stock.

I wanted to buy a set of say 6 units.

When I arrived at the supplier he told me that they come in boxes of 100!

I almost walked out but decided to ask the price. To my pleasant surprise 100 needles cost $4 and the Syringes cost $18. That's a hundred units for not much more that ordering 6 online (inc shipping)

Environmental concerns aside I now don't have to those wash fiddly needles.

Food for thought.

flyboy

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-3750
Hi Phil,
The aircraft mechanics where I worked used the large syringes from animal feed stores. Maybe horse needles? Just dull the needle with a file etc. That's what I used to use for ink refilling.

I had a friend whose wife was diabetic. Once I happened to notice she was discarding a large amount of the tiny almost hair-like needles so I asked her if I could have them. I cleaned each one and put them in a safe place and would use them for oiling my pedal steel guitar. The extremely fine needles were perfect for putting just a microdrop of oil on the rollers. A normal oiling would have gobbed a massive amount all over the mechanism causing an inevitable ooze onto the wood and so you had to clean it up or ruin the finish if it made it through to the underlying wood.

Eventually I ran out of the those beautiful needles and I had forgotten about them, but with your reminder I will see if I can get them again to oil my clarinet.

flyboy

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-3750
Awesome! Grew up listening to many great pedal steel players: Sneaky Pete, Dan Dugmore, John David Call, Jerry Garcia, Buddy Cage, JayDee Maness, Tom Brumley, Al Perkins, Lloyd Green, Rusty Young, and more.
Hi Stratman,
With a name like that you must have a stratocaster. I had one years ago but sold it to pay for flying lessons. That guitar practically played itself as it was so beautiful. If I still had it, it would be worth a fortune probably as it was from the early 60's. I now have a 12 string Strat. Beautiful but a bear to tune.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Player's Lament: The guitars we sold and the guitars we should have bought. :hit

flyboy

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-3750
Tell me about it. I also sold a 1952 Martin OO-18. I still wake up at night and cry over that..... for a lousy few hundred bucks. That one also seemed to have angels hovering over the strings.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I also sold a 1952 Martin OO-18. I still wake up at night and cry over that..... for a lousy few hundred bucks.
That hurts me just reading it.

flyboy

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-3750
I hear ya! So I consoled myself by getting a new Buffet Zoe Bb clarinet and an Eastman VC305 cello and since three's a charm I got a French horn. I'm feeling better and I understand Immelda Marcos better now :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
You're a regular one man band!

I played french horn as a kid. Made 3rd chair in my junior high school band and there were only two of us. :lol:

Kidding. There were three of us and we were all friends.

Love the sound.