Refill HP 74 with dye ink

brady38

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
:) Can I refill HP 74 black cartridge with Hobbycolor Canon Black dye ink in lieu of the pigment HP ink? I am not concerned with color accuracy but am concerned in running thru the HP 74 cartridge OK and not :( damaging the printer, which is a HP 5550.

Thanks

David Brady

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
It may work for a time but generally dye ink and pigment ink aren't so compatible. You may find it won't take another refill after the first one unless you flush out the cartridge, which is pretty difficult with a sealed cartridge. At least that's what happened to my hp cartridge. Also it won't print as accurately since the nozzles are made for pigment, it may also leak out the printheads because of the difference in the way the dye ink behaves compared to pigment.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Actually I use KMP pigment ink for not only my Canon cartridges, but for HP pigment text cartridges as well and it works very well and without any problem. Since both Canon and HP are using the bubblejet technology to print, using Canon compatible pigment ink can be considered. However: never use Epson pigment ink in bubblejet printers, since Epson is using the cold piezographic technology and bubblejet tends to boil and partially evaporate the ink to eject the ink.

brady38

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you for your quick responses. I will buy pigment ink as I have done in the past for the HP printers. And keep Hobbicolors solely for my Canon printers.

David Brady