Red River Paper saves the day and why I won't buy another canon

zing

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
pixma pro 100 pixma, pm610
I thinking the same thing. It could be a quirk with xp or cs3

I've been using both cs3 and xp with no issues for years. Then I wanted to print 11 x 14 on the canon and the problems began.

I really didn't expect to have problems as I had used xp and cs3 for so long and I'ts been easy.

Before I got the pro 100 I was using my mp610 to print photos and an epson work force 7610 to print graphic arts and others using the pigment epson inks

Before my epson died from electronic problems I had no issues printing any size I wanted.
It was easy, custom or standard right on up to 13 x 19. I had zero issues using the same computer same operating system same cs3

I'm going to go to win 7 on that computer and if that doesn't resolve it

I'll run the canon until it runs out of ink and then sell it.

I do sincerely appreciate the great ideas and help on this

I really do

Bill

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Thanks again for all the help
I'm done with this canon
If I try to choose borderless it automatically changes the paper size from custom back to letter and from semi to glossy and then there is no way around the offset for staples

Hi bill, I reckon before you jump and get another Epson, you need to know that both machines treat borderless printing very much the same.

Borderless prints can only be done on selected sizes and most definitely not on any custom sizes on which ever machine you try it on.. :(

zing

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks HAT !

I'm thinking it must be a quirk because I'm using xp on that computer. It has to be related to the operating system.

The computer is a gift from my son and is only 2 months old and was built to be a dedicated unit for imaging purposes only, processing photos and printing graphic art work.
The only items installed are windows, cs3 and the pro100 driver that brought along image garden that I will get rid of soon enough

I wanted a very stable operating system.
We thought we may have problems using such an old version of photoshop cs3 with a much newer operating system. I could have had any operating system available but we decided to be "safe" and keep the two together.

It looks like that plan has backfired

Oh well If I never printed another border less print it wouldn't bother me in the least.

I had the borders margins bleeds worked out years ago for the mp610 cs3 and xp

It's not that way anymore

Thanks for the great advice

This is always the best place on the planet for solid advice and information

Last edited:

zing

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hat I forgot to ask an important question and that is

What operating system are you using with photoshop and the pro 100??

If it works for you then it should work for me also !!

Thanks again

Bill

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
First of all doing continued borderless prints makes a big mess inside your printer and it only takes a dozen or so before you start getting splashes of ink all over the backs, so it should be avoided if possible, border prints look more professional anyway, in my opinion.

I use Win 7 and CS4 and have no difficultly with any of my printers using both, I have 3 Pro printers but none of them are the Pro 100, I would gladly swap my Pro 1 for another Pro 9500, I went from XP to Win 7 some years ago..

zing

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks Hat

That struck a nerve ! I hate the thought of ink being splashed and even worse on my prints where it doesn't belong.

I'm going to try it with win 7 and look for a more current version of photoshop

I do prefer borders also, I just want options for border less when I want to go that way

Even after I work all this out I will remain irritated with canon for being just plain stupid for not putting 11 x 14 on the drop downs in print preference as a choice.

and as always
I offer a real

THANKS for the great advice..... again !!!!

Bill

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi Bill,

There’s no need to go and get another version of Photoshop the one you got will do, because I run an older Photoshop 7 not (CS 7) and it’s perfectly all right with this O/S.

If you like borderless prints it’s as easy to print them normally and just trim off the white edges yourself afterwards, Hint: try setting the printer to use 11 x 17 size and just put in the normal 11 x 14 paper but remember to move your image up 3” so you won’t lose a bit of your print..

zing

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks Hat!

I went to the canon web site and downloaded the latest driver and installed that. It was dated july 2015 so its current.

Now when I select photo it gives me the complete drop down with the custom size option in the correct place and after that I can type any size I wish.

I put it through the paces starting with a 4 x 6 scaled and printed to an 11 x 14 size followed by a 8 x 10 scaled to fit a 13 x 19 and then 8 x 10 followed by a letter size. The borders look O K

I printed the few I wanted to do border less and after they are decorating my workshop walls I'll probably never have to print them again

I'm perfectly happy with borders as determined by the aspect ratio of the image.

Now I've got the paper cutter out and I'm trimming water color sized paper to match standard photo sizes.

I was hoping I would keep my photoshop cs3 I love it and its really easy to use.

Thanks again for the help !!

Bill