Canon MB5120, Pencil
:yuckyuck x3 last posts!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
My guess is, it was more to do with your original post, your approach to people :lol:, to kind and considerate......(perhaps) you should have launches this thread with...

" Sheesh! bloomin' Canson, stuffs up every print I do, its just not up to it"...and you would have been flooded with every tyre kicker on the entire Planet venturing an opinion:ya
ROFLMAO... That's me told!

I should have realised that much more effective to throw hands in the air with a rant or a deliberate attempt NOT to seek opinions and every Tom, Jose and Brian* would have been throwing their weight around like there was no tomorrow ;)

Dragging this topic BACK to its original arena of high-value expertise and relevance... Thanks for those who have ventured an opinion... It seems the overall gist is therefore that you pays your money and takes your chances. Not quite what I'd hoped for but it makes sense...

Ok, so, changing the direction of the thread a little, here's a new question..

If you were wanting to do comparisons of inks between say OEM inks and a compatible type, what paper(s) would you consider as being particularly useful as indicators?

*any relationship to persons alive, dead or paranoid are completely unintentional and no humour at said individuals expense should be inferred or otherwise credited... much! ;)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
ROFLMAO... That's me told!

I should have realised that much more effective to throw hands in the air with a rant or a deliberate attempt NOT to seek opinions and every Tom, Jose and Brian* would have been throwing their weight around like there was no tomorrow ;)

Ok, so, changing the direction of the thread a little, here's a new question..

If you were wanting to do comparisons of inks between say OEM inks and a compatible type, what paper(s) would you consider as being particularly useful as indicators?
What I would do when comparing inks is to use just bog standard plain copy paper and the same on photo glossy paper (Like LIDL Sihl) and if it can preformed on that then you have a clear winner.

Just throwing my HAT in the ring.. :frow

P.S. this answer is intended for the persons who may be alive or dead, and are completely paranoid with loads of humour intentionally inferred , O’ and just in case I missed something E&OE. :gig

Bryan

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3800, Epson 7600
Finestra Papers are newer on the market but I love their products. Their papers tend to be thicker than most and although their base materials are made in Germany, their prices and service are hard to beat. I think they are US/Canada only, but I can get from Amazon with free 2 day shipping www.amazon.com/shops/inkjetpaper or direct with flat rate shipping www.finestraart.com.

They got the "Best Glossy Paper" Hot One Award from Professional Photographer Magazine last year http://finestraart.com/metallic-smooth-white-pearl/

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
Finestra Papers are newer on the market but I love their products. Their papers tend to be thicker than most and although their base materials are made in Germany, their prices and service are hard to beat. I think they are US/Canada only, but I can get from Amazon with free 2 day shipping www.amazon.com/shops/inkjetpaper or direct with flat rate shipping www.finestraart.com.

They got the "Best Glossy Paper" Hot One Award from Professional Photographer Magazine last year http://finestraart.com/metallic-smooth-white-pearl/

Just did an on-site search for "Finestra," having just stumbled across the brand while looking for some cheap paper to test layouts. Holy cow! A huge selection, great prices, either on site or on Amazon as Bryan mentions.

Here's where it gets interesting: In a half century of photo processing, I've never known any company other than Ilford to use Pearl as a finish. Beloved for many great reasons. And here are Pearl finish papers.....that without making a special trip over to the Ilford site, I believe has the same weight specs as Galerie Premium. So, if that's the case, plenty of ICC profiles to be had, too.

Obviously "Smooth" microporous.

One reviewer perfectly described the pearl finish vs. the luster.

Fifty sheets of 13"x19" Pearl for $34.99!
http://www.amazon.com/Sheets-Premiu...qid=1422118160&sr=1-6&keywords=finestra+pearl

Find something on Amazon worth a penny, and you qualify for free shipping!