Recommendation please: Paper/Media

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Yes folks, reports of my demise at the hands of @iPeach have been a little presumptuous.. She hasn't killed me at all... (yet!).

What has happened is a lot more time with family, friends and getting down to a whole lot of other important stuff but I digress.

The reason for bringing you all together in this thread (Tea anyone?, biscuits?... lovely ;))... is to ask for recommendations on papers. Specifically which ones you use, would like to use or would recommend...

EDIT... Ignore this bit now (See below) for those who are doing things like photography competitions or similar where the requirement is semi-pro, pro or enthused-amateur.

EDIT: I realised I was overthinking the "target" somewhat and should have specified this as being for anyone who likes to get a good/reasonable quality, long lasting output, rather than just a quick pic that can be sent to Aunt Gladys, etc... So, basically anyone who has a preference for a particular type of paper for the results provided.

If you could qualify your suggestions in terms of what you do with them and the level of expectation (lifespan, quality, etc..) that would be particularly helpful but any suggestions would be gratefully and warmly welcomed.

Cheers.. :)

Last edited:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Ok... I kinda expected things to be a little slow but wasn't expecting zero response?

Is everyone feeling a little shy this week and needing a little encouragement to post first? :)

Seriously folks, I'm not asking for a religious style debate on which paper is holier than thou' ;) but an idea of what options are out there (not just here in the UK) and what people like.

Please chip in, even if you don't necessarily see yourself as being all that serious...

Thanking you all kindly :)

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Ok... I kinda expected things to be a little slow but wasn't expecting zero response?

Is everyone feeling a little shy this week and needing a little encouragement to post first? :)

Seriously folks, I'm not asking for a religious style debate on which paper is holier than thou' ;) but an idea of what options are out there (not just here in the UK) and what people like.

Please chip in, even if you don't necessarily see yourself as being all that serious...

Thanking you all kindly :)

Well here's my take on the inkjet paper situation.

Where I live (Region of over a million people) very few brick and mortar stores carry a satisfactory paper selection at reasonable cost. In fact limited, expensive and unpredictable inventory is my impression.

For many years I was very happy with the Ilford Galerie lines. I could get them from discount suppliers like B&H etc, but alas apparently Ilford is now out of business and I am down to my last few 13 x 19 sheets of Classic Pearl and Smooth Pearl.

I am currently almost exclusively using Red River papers. their prices are very competitive with a wide range of products, all stocked in an extensive range of sizes for each paper grade. They are helpful and responsive to my needs and inquiries. The only downside is their location in Texas which is rather expensive but manageable for shipping.

I tend to stick with papers that works for my workflow. I need consistency and to be able to predict what the image will look like when printed. Familiarity with a known range of papers is one way of avoiding nasty surprises out of the printer. Together with soft proofing, Precision Colour inks, and a colour managed workflow I get very few unpleasant surprises out of the printer.

Of course maybe that is because my bad eyesight ;-)

In out club the average viewing distance on print competition night is the length of a members nose plus 6mm.

rs

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I'm now using Red River papers for special printing projects and am very happy. I have what is probably a lifetime supply of Costco glossy photo paper that I bought when it went on sale at half price - and it was cheap and as good as the big-box brand name glossy papers to start with. I'd suggest that you order the Red River sample box. It contains two 8.5x11 sheets of each surface and weight of their papers. They have a great range of sizes as well.

A disclaimer - I am not a participant in a photography club and am not showing my prints in any competition.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I think our hesitation is based on the respect for experts. Let the exhibitors have their say first!

I am a user of a limited number of papers. Take a look at Photo Paper Direct website, their range is wide and implied as being Ilford in some descriptions. I use their A4 and A3 280g glossy and satin pearl. But since I have become aware (thanks to PrinterKnowledge) of Lidl selling quality A4 glossy micro porous 280g 50 sheet packs made by Sihl for about £5, I have used these 90% of the time, as have many others!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for those two suggestions.. Interesting about Ilford going south given the number of folks I've seen recommend or discuss them on various forums over the years.

Red River appears to be one of those "Not in the UK" type sources, so that could prove a challenge but heck, this is about inkjet printers... It's a way of life :)

Keep em coming...

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I think our hesitation is based on the respect for experts. Let the exhibitors have their say first!
A good point... That said I think I went a little overboard on the spec' side of things as hinted by my edit of the original post. I made the assumption that only those who tend to go in for pro end of things would want to use specific paper types/brands which is more than a bit presumptuous to be fair.

So, I've reeled my neck in a bit and opened up the floor somewhat.:fl

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Funny you mentioned archival prints because I use HP gloss and satin photo papers for most of my larger prints, the thing is the ink was never a problem yes it did fade somewhat, but the paper itself started to delaminate and the surface fall apart in tiny pieces after only six years exposure in doors.. :oops:

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
The best paper I've used is Ilford Galerie. Skin tones come out the best on this paper. It's not too white like most premium papers. Best results in B/W.

I also use Epson premium glossy. It's a bit warmer overall and skin tones are nice. Some users find the paper too thin, it doesn't feel like the good old chemical paper.

Most photos are printed on Netbit glossy. This is a 300 gsm version of the well known Sihl paper. This is a high quality paper, it's whiter than Epson and the tone tends to magenta.

Recently I started with Label Ocean glossy paper, the 230 gsm version. It was recommended by Pharmacist and I'm satisfied with it. The blacks are deeper than the other papers. The paper is very white and the tone tends slightly to red. This paper stays perfectly flat after printing, unlike most 230 gsm papers. The back of this paper is not coated, which makes it possible to print text on the back. Use it for greeting cards!

I've still got some Epson Photo paper left, only 194 gsm. The paper looks very much like the Adox chemical paper I used in the years 70. The surface is not too glossy and the white is creamy.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
Having been around printing photographs for roughly 250 years, trusty 5DII under one arm and the 3880 under the other, I feel more than qualified to float an opinion....:gig:hide.......

I have not ventured forth because of Geography, I simply have no knowledge of papers outside of Aust. I was not into photography in the years that I spent in England, Earls Court in the 60's had better things to offer (fishing,Watneys, and Music. In the 80's Texas was, well, very welcoming of Aussies, again no photography but some really great memories of things that could only happen to me and survive to tell the tale, good clean straight up 'fun' times.

I am certain I can access any of the high end papers here, at a price, as for Budget/ Value choice I am thinking that the USA and UK would leave us for dead and frankly I just have not looked.

So in the wet Lightroom ( 1970's) Kodak, long break then I guess about 7 years ago Digital, and soon after that printing my own on Canon papers. Then I found this Forum.....

I print for myself, and may still get around to submitting a couple more prints for the Photo Club. I may even get around to offering a couple for sale, based on what I have seen, and heard, Canson looks good and the advice seems to favour picking just a couple of papers and get to know them well, so I guess thats me.

Today I use Canson for those prints that MATTER. I favour BFK, and intend exploring with Baryta and perhaps one other for B&W prints can't see myself venturing outside of that.

Pretty boring really, but you sounded quite plaintive at not having been flooded with input.....
My guess is, it was more to do with your original post, your approach to people :lol:, to kind and considerate......(perhaps) you should have launches this thread with...

" Sheesh! bloomin' Canson, stuffs up every print I do, its just not up to it"...and you would have been flooded with every tyre kicker on the entire Planet venturing an opinion:ya

:yuckyuck

Cheers,

Andrew