Recommend CISS for elementary school

twinkle

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been refilling both Canon and Epson entry level printers at home for a few years, but I have no experience with CISS. As IT Manager at an elementary school, I always try to do things cost-effectively, and our solid-ink Phaser printer is fairly expensive to run, although generally trouble-free.

I am looking for recommendation for printer and CISS manufacturer to use at an elementary school. Ability to print or physical access to printer would be restricted to adults. We print 10-100 pages per day, maybe more if we reduce cost. No preference between dye and pigment. Trouble-free is the key. Refilling would be done by "expert" (me), but ordinary printing should be as uneventful as possible.

Looking forward to your comments.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
My advice would be a dyebase Epson printer or possibly an HP K5400 (if you can get a refurb).

Canons do not lend themselves to CIS kits, especially in that environment while Epson's tend to work very well...

I suggest dyebase purely because pigment has a tendancy to clog if left without printing, most commercial CIS kits don't work well with pigment anyway, and school holidays invariably result in long periods of non use and clog badly.

The only hiccup with the Epson printers available now is that they almost all require a reset button to reset the Auto Reset Chips (ARCs) so you will need to do a little staff training and a picture guide on how/when to reset. It's either that or considering a much older model printer via eBay or similar, like an R320, etc...

I speak as someone providing tech support for four primaries (British K-12 equivalent) along with printers...

Hope that helps. :)

Martin

sashton

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi there

I work in a primary school & 12 months ago purchased an ink system for K5400 from Rihac, an Australian company that now distribute from the UK. The system has been faultless from day 1, was simple to install & refilling is as simple as pouring the ink into the reservoir. It has saved us thousands in cartridges & I would recommend to anyone.

Hope you get sorted.

nelida2010

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
i would get a Brother printer!! they are cheap and the best thing is if you get a ciss or refillable cartridges you will have no chip problems, since they do not use a chip is so easy for the printer to recognize them . we have one in our office and we print a lot! is the MFC490