Recoganizing correct Black Canon CISS refill bottle by different names

Williebye

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have been using the CISS system of my Canon Ip4300 for over a year and it has worked very well for me. My problem now is trying to refill the black reservoirs. I topped up one of them a few months back and am now thinking that I may have put the incorrect ink into the reservoir. The descriptions I've read here makes sense however I'm having difficulty in working out the logic and making sure that I put the correct ink into the correct reservoir tank.
My reservoir tanks from left to right say first:... Black then PGBK. I'm understanding that the dye based ink is for photos because for one reason it dries faster and that the PGBK ink is pigment based and is used for test. The ink bottles I have has an odd naming system which I can't find anywhere on the net so the dilemma I'm having is deciding which ink to put into which reservoir.
One bottle is named CP5EBK and a test strip dipped into the bottle on glossy paper shows that it has a flat matte look whereas the other bottle named CDK looks glossy when dipped. The reason I feel that I may have previously incorrectly refilled the RGBK tank is that a similar test of both black reservoirs both show a glossy look to them.
Am I correct in thinking that the CP5EBK ink which has a glossy look to it is used for text printing and that the CDK ink which has a matte look is for photos, the opposite of what seems correct? Obviously I'm over-thinking this. But thanks for your help.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
OK so you have two bottles of black ink and want to know which is pigmented and which is dye?

Take two small glasses and put a little warm water in each glass.
Now put a single drop of ink from one black ink in one glass and one drop of the other black ink in the other glass.

The drop of dye ink will turn the water dark blue and will easily mix with the water.

The drop of pigmented ink will turn the water dark gray and part of the ink may sink to the bottom.

I just performed this test with Canon ink (from new ink Cartridges) and Hobbicolors ink with the same results with both brands.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Another method: dip a cotton earstick into the ink and make stripe over a piece of normal paper. Let it dry and run tap water over it: pigment ink should stay in place and the dye stripe will bleed.

Williebye

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ok... thanks for that help, but I think I may have over descried my problem. I can distinguish between the two types of ink. What I need to know is:

From the Ink fill bottles ( CP5EBK & CDK) which ink goes into which reservoir?

I.E> Does CP5EBK ink go to the "BLACK" reservoir or the PGBK reservoir?
and Does the CDK ink go to the "BLACK" reservoir or the PGBK reservoir?

Thanks for the help!!

Willie

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Just follow the tubing from the external inktanks. Just think: PGBK= PGI-5Bk, thus pigment ink.

Williebye

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks once again. I finally got it. CP5EBK goes into the PGBK reservoir (pigmented ink as tested by the water method, cool).

Willie