really new ?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Looking at the "Shipment methods" tab and seeing "Shipping from Chinese Warehouse" to me is a red warning light. I think than many or maybe most print heads from China are used print heads that are cleaned to look like new and packaged in counterfeit foil bags and cardboard boxes. I would not buy a such print head.

Here is a French supplier and one more, but at 100 € or 85 € it is more expensive than the 55 $ from the Chinese supplier. But I think the French distributors are more to be trusted.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I wouldn't be concerned so much that it is shipping from a Chinese warehouse, I'm wondering much more that there is no claim at all in the description that the printhead is new - the box is marked with 'Genuine Canon', but that is a refurbished printhead as well. You may ask them whether the printhead is factory new.

marel

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon mp550
Looking at the "Shipment methods" tab and seeing "Shipping from Chinese Warehouse" to me is a red warning light. I think than many or maybe most print heads from China are used print heads that are cleaned to look like new and packaged in counterfeit foil bags and cardboard boxes. I would not buy a such print head.

Here is a French supplier and one more, but at 100 € or 85 € it is more expensive than the 55 $ from the Chinese supplier. But I think the French distributors are more to be trusted.
I did not read this ... sellers at aliexpress use the word "new" easily but they recover the printers, keep the heads, clean them and resell them with the word = new .... so I would not buy not ... in addition, most have stocks of 100 to 900 heads! .... I found a French seller = 60 € ... I asked him if this head was totally new it ' answered = yes ... he has 2 in stock but in his announcement it specifies = "not guaranteed Canon ... I hesitate a lot because a printer for the house prices starts at 70 € with 4 cartridges on a head of 'impression ...( printhead )...

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think that you should only trust official suppliers of Canon parts. "Not guaranteed Canon..." looks suspect to me. It might be time for a new printer as this can cost less than a print head for an old printer.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Can someone please post a link to a non-Canon print head sold for use in a Canon printer?

I don't recall ever seeing such a unicorn.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
When a combined sponge and print head Canon cartridge is remanufactured meaning commercially cleaned and refilled it must not be sold as an OEM Canon cartridge and it must also use a different type number. For instance a remanufactured Canon CL-211XL could be named just 211XL, no mention of Canon and the type number has been changed a little.

Could the "not guaranteed Canon" printhead be a Canon print head that has been "refurbished", using the same logic as with the remanufactured cartridges?

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I'd think the sellers would chew off their own arms before having to declare "not guaranteed Canon" unless it were true. However, I do not discount that some sellers are not Einsteins and do not know all about every product they sell.

SkedAddled

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO-100, MG5320, Xerox 6027
There is no Canon logo imprinted on the foil wrap,
which is a dead giveaway that the head is not a new, unused head.