Re-initializing Epson 1400 EEPROM

rckowal

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
This is a C/P quote from another post on this forum. "'Reason I ask on this point is that some folks have reinitialized the whole printer EEPROM and ended up with a printer that thinks it's a different model and therefore won't accept the local cartridge chips."

I don't understand what the author meant by this remark. I've asked for clarification but have heard nothing in response.

I want to know if there is any way to set the EEPROM to it's factory default? I have the Epson Service manual as well as the service Adjust software (not the simple ink counter reset utility) if they are needed. I have used the Adjust software to backup the EEPROM but don't see a way to reset it to the default. I've already asked Epson about firmware updates, etc. but they told me there are none.

Best regards, Richard

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
rckowal

One of the ways to clear the eeprom is to hit it with strong UV light for ten minutes or so. Then you will have a blank chip so you can do with it what you want. p.s. Hope you have a good backup.. :) ;)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
rckowal said:
This is a C/P quote from another post on this forum. "'Reason I ask on this point is that some folks have reinitialized the whole printer EEPROM and ended up with a printer that thinks it's a different model and therefore won't accept the local cartridge chips."

I don't understand what the author meant by this remark. I've asked for clarification but have heard nothing in response.
You did? I haven't seen it hence the lack of response as that was me from yesterday I believe (possibly a couple of days ago- time is doing weird things at the moment).

To answer the question... If you reinitialize the EEPROM you not only reset the waste ink counter and system state to the model of the utility, but you also completely wipe the calibration data that was set when the printer was first tested and setup for shipment.

The pertinent bit to your query though is that if you use say the Photo 1410 utility to reinitialize a Photo 1400 it will think it's an 1410 when you're done.

I want to know if there is any way to set the EEPROM to it's factory default? I have the Epson Service manual as well as the service Adjust software (not the simple ink counter reset utility) if they are needed. I have used the Adjust software to backup the EEPROM but don't see a way to reset it to the default. I've already asked Epson about firmware updates, etc. but they told me there are none.
Epson are not going to help you on this one because this is what service centers pay Epson for the rights to do and it's this income and the related agreements that Epson is protecting by ignoring your request and denying access to sensible utilities that would otherwise make life easier for people to use their printers.

The only way I know how to successfully do all the above though is to take it to a service center, get them to reset it and redo the gross alignment. They have all the necessary jigs, software and access to support they need to make it happen... unfortunately they charge accordingly but no sense in trying to pretty up a nasty reality.

rckowal

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat, Thanks for replying.

But rather than erasing the EEPROM, what I had in mind was to restore the factory default firm ware.

If one believes in backup software at all, then I have to believe that I had a good back up since Epson's Adjust Software said it was successful.

Regards, Richard

rckowal

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Websnail,

Your reply was just what I was looking for.

"To answer the question... If you reinitialize the EEPROM you not only reset the waste ink counter and system state to the model of the utility, but you also completely wipe the calibration data that was set when the printer was first tested and setup for shipment."

"The pertinent bit to your query though is that if you use say the Photo 1410 utility to reinitialize a Photo 1400 it will think it's an 1410 when you're done."

Understood, but it appeared that the Adjust software was gladly accepting the product information it asks for & responding that this is truly a Photo 1400.

Regards, Richard

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
ok... so the schizophrenia option is out so that leaves the calibration side and those contacts I guess... I'm still falling back to a short somewhere but damned if I can think where...

It's also possible that somewhere the logic board has dry solder joint issues or something else... TBH: This 1400 is starting to wind me up too :)

rckowal

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
websnail said:
ok... so the schizophrenia option is out so that leaves the calibration side and those contacts I guess... I'm still falling back to a short somewhere but damned if I can think where...

It's also possible that somewhere the logic board has dry solder joint issues or something else... TBH: This 1400 is starting to wind me up too :)
In addition to a short, bad solder joint (?after 3 tears??) add a possible open in a cable to the list. The latter is what I'm pursuing now.

Best regards, Richard

PeterStalder

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I had the problem with Epson 1400 like this:
I have reset the waste ink pad counter but after 3 prints it become overflow again. I have checked it - 101%!
Reset again. 2 prints and 78% again....

The status monitor display: Epson Stylus Photo 1400 Problem: The counter cannot be initialized by a present firmware. please execute this function again after making the firmware the lasted.

I have solved this problem with LiveHelp on 2Manuals.com

They explained me this situation. I had to update my printers firmware.
Very helpful article about how to update 1400 printer firmware is here - How to update epson 1400 firmware
I have updated firmware by myself.

Hope it helps smbd...