R3000 Cartridge options

Patrick70

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have been reading and looking at options for third party carts/inks for my R3000

Haven't decided on the ink (probably Jon Cone or IJF) yet

As for carts.
I thought all third party carts behaved the same - in that once reset they constantly showed 100% full.
But thenI read that the carts Jon Cone is using actually behave like OEM and show ink levels in the ink level monitor.

So my question is - are Inkjetmall (Cone) cart's the ones like this ? or are there perhaps other cheaper third party carts that
show the ink level in the monitor as well.

bobjoek

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I have been using Cone inks (Inkjetmall) for over a year in my Epson R3000, and am very satisfied. Cone inks are as good as if not better than Epson inks. I have had no problems, no clogs, in spite of infrequent use of my printer. The Cone cartridges do show remaining ink, just like Epson cartridges. One difference is that the Cone cartridges do have a small battery behind the chip, which will eventually require replacement. So far I have not needed to replace any batteries.

Bob

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
OK you guys are a bit missinformed.
The R2000 and R3000 battery powered chips DO show ink consuption. They can be reset at any time by shorting out the two round terminals on then chip.
On the CONE chips, one user I know has had stances where the chip resets full by itself during certain conditions. Though the correct methosdi is to short out the terminals.

As far as CONE carts being better than the OEM carts? You really have to be kidding right? In fact though the claim is that there's are better, even though they appear identical, no one has really stated or prooven specifically where they are beeter. IJF and CONE and even IJC R3000 are pretty much identical and behave identical.

Joe

It is the PRO3800 and 3880 with the special piggy backed contgroller chips over OEM chips that tend to display as full at all time.
Though Jon CONE chips for the 3800 and 3880 do show ink consumption, others for that printer series show ink as always full.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I ordered several refillable cartridges for my Epson R3000 from different chinese suppliers. None of them did malfunction and I did modify one for my Epson WF-7525 (matte black for tekst).

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
bobjoek said:
I have been using Cone inks (Inkjetmall) for over a year in my Epson R3000, and am very satisfied. Cone inks are as good as if not better than Epson inks. I have had no problems, no clogs, in spite of infrequent use of my printer. The Cone cartridges do show remaining ink, just like Epson cartridges. One difference is that the Cone cartridges do have a small battery behind the chip, which will eventually require replacement. So far I have not needed to replace any batteries.

Bob
That characteristic of the R3000 is due to Epson's evolved design of the printhead. They finally got it right on the printhead design and required cartridge placement. Previous so called clogging of the printhead after resting, was mainly due to engineering shortcomings which took them 3 generations to figure out and simplify at the same time. Key changes were, breakthrough piezo material, PTFE coatings (Teflon), cartridge placement, Priming pump revised cycles and a high voltage mist collection system. Make no mistake, these are now highly refined printers. The hearsays of the past need to remain in the past. The newer piezo material on the head however is more fragile so manhndling a printhead to unclog it is not advisable on the newer ones, not that you'd need to. Only one word of caution NEVER physically run out of ink when using these newer machines...that is when true clogs will develop due to drying out of the ink internally. The design of the refillables are the same as others in the Epson lineup as used on the workforces etc. so nothing new there.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Just as we have figured out the Canon setup, it's time that we come to reality on this forum on Epson printers. The aura or fog of disinformation needs to dissipate.