Questions on HP Office Jet 8600 Pro purchase

fdm2000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am contemplating the purchase of the 8600 since it gets good reviews in CNET. I have used Canon printers in the past and liked the ease of refilling and resetting cartridges, but am totally unfamiliar with the HP printers.

My questions for the forum users are:

Can the cartridges for the 8600 be refilled and if so how difficult is the procedure?

Are after market blank cartridges available if refilling is possible?

Do the cartridges, if refillable, require resetting as with the Canon cartridges?

Many thanks for any insights.

Frank

joseph99929

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The simple answers are:

- Yes they can and it's relatively easy to do.
- No I don't believe blanks or CISS are available yet, but the Chinese are working on it.
- There are chips so the ink levels will read low and potentially even impede use. No resetter exists.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
You can't reset recent HP cartridges. You have to keep track of the ink level yourself. I do it by keeping a record of use and weighing a cartridge occasionally. With my HP printer I can take a cartridge out briefly and weigh a cartridge without triggering a self-cleaning event. If those are the 940 cartridges I would expect the 8600 printer to (probably) behave the same as mine.

Most people on this forum recommend against using aftermarket cartridges. The OEM cartridges are a little harder to refill because they are opaque, but they should prove to be very reliable. I suggest top filling for opaque cartridges (although I haven't tried it yet myself).

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Can I check... which exact 8600 model are you referring to?

- K8500(DN) Officejet (HP88 cartridges)
- Officejet Pro 8600 (HP950 + HP960 cartridges)
...or some other model?

fdm2000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Sorry I neglected to identify the exact model - it is the HP OfficeJet 8600 Pro

Latest posts