Questions About Refillable's For Epson Stylus Pro 3800

18%grey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3800/9800
I have just bought a second hand Epson Stylus Pro 3800.

I am going to purchase some 80ml refillable cartridges.

My question is How Low can the ink be on the OEM's to still be able to use the chip.

x4 of my OEM's read 1%, 2%, 5% and 13%. The other 5 have plenty of ink still in them.

I have seen somewhere that 15% is the minimum for the chips to work. Is this true?

Another question I have is about Inkjetfly's version of the 80ml refillable's.

When I bought these before for my other 3800 I was able to add one cart at a time as

the OEM's ran out because all the chips were used. Only two chips are now used on the

latest version, the PK and MK carts. Does this mean all x9 carts have to be changed together?

Thanks you for any help or advice.

Update to questions asked....

This morning I received my new refillable carts. I've installed x3 of them and used the

chips off the nearly exhausted OEM's and all is fine. They work perfect.

I purchased the carts that use x9 chips so I have no answer to the x2 chip part of my question above.

Last edited:

Bryan

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3800, Epson 7600
I'm new here and just saw your post. Can I ask what ink system you are using? Is it still working w/o problems? I just purchased one and used in my 3800 and it's the 9cart w/individual chips that also use the orig Epson chip below. I have had a hard time getting the cartridges to recognize. It will recognize a few of them and I did get all of them to work once but as soon as I refilled I haven't been able to get them to recognize again.

Thank you :)

18%grey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi Bryan

I'm using different carts for each printer with no problems at all.

I use the 80ml carts supplied by Murret/Lyson (UK) & Inkjetfly (US)

and the 150ml carts from Permajet (UK) and InkRepublic (US)

Both sets use all 9 original chips.

All I can suggest is to power down the printer then gently clean the surface of the chips and then switch back on to reboot the printer and then maybe the carts will be recognised.

Just a thought, Epson Status Monitor is not used with these carts. Either uninstall it or make sure it is not causing the problems some how.

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
Bought a "used" 3800 with almost two full sets empty cartridges for 60€ ( approx. ~78 USD)

Ordered a Set of refillable cartridges from Inkstyles Guangdong and some other stuff as well for about 40 USD including the piggy back Autoreset Chips.

Transfered the OEM Chips and filled the cartridges, Printer recognizes all sweet!

Now only down Side Maintenance Tank is "FULL" after 1x PowerCycle and there is quite air bubbles in the ink lines,
Using OCP INK with the Vivid Magenta Inkset

I ordered two additional Maintenance Kits plus a Reseter for it (48 USD)

spoke to the previous owner, Cyan was clogged he said and he had to print some important batch jobs so he just bought the 3880 right away.

Ink counter says 4.450ml Ink Consumed it was never reseted, thats about 50 Cartridges
almost 2.200 € (approx. ~2880 USD) in 3rd Party Ink I would just had spend 1/10th of it crazy

18%grey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
cls
Quote: Using OCP INK with the Vivid Magenta Inkset

How is OCP's vivid magenta performing in the 3800? I use OCP ink but with the standard ink set

Do you see any improvements using the vivid magenta over the standard magenta?
Did this combo profile OK?

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I've used OCP's VMs on my R2880 but you really need to create custom profiles or everything that uses Magenta tends to turn out more oversaturated. Looks great but not really what one would call natural.

18%grey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
I've used OCP's VMs on my R2880 but you really need to create custom profiles or everything that uses Magenta tends to turn out more oversaturated. Looks great but not really what one would call natural.

Thank you for reply. Have you tried the OCP Vivid Magenta in your 2400/3800 printers?

I'm interested in hearing about any results from these printers as they were not designed for the VM set

It was CLS that mentioned he had purchased the OCP VM inkset to use in his newly acquired 3800.

This has got me curious as I myself would not have tried using VM in my 3800.
I will if someone has had good results and can recommend using VM ink.

Last edited:

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
basically the Epson Pro 3800 Memory Bank (EEPROM) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EEPROM save various data such as Printhead configuration AND ICC related colormetric specification.

With the Adjustment Wizard II offers an option the print colorpatches and read them with an i1 Pro this is an internal Epson Maintenance routine which basically EVERY Epson Printer goes tru (well at least the Pro modells)

Each Printhead has some different voltage value to drive the piezo membranes
each printer has some little deviations with X axis the print head carriage and other variables so it is really mandatory during assembly to store such values into the printers "brain"

after a full inital maintenance procedure each individuall epson Pro 3880/3800 would print in a nearly 99,98% identical and reproducable result.

18%grey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thank you for that very detailed explanation. I must admit it did go over my head a little. I did read it a few times.

From what I could understand the 3800 and the 3880 are 98-99% identical.

It sounds like it is ok for me to experiment with Vivid Magenta in my 3800. I will order some and give it a try.

Thanks again CLS for your time.