Question about brother printers.

chobo2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi

I have a brother mfc-465cn printer and I was wonder where is the print head? Like in my old canon i560 printer I knew where it was. So it seems like it is going to be alot harder to clean the print head if needed.

Also I noticed I don't have any options to do a "deep clean" or a "clean" or even alignment of nozzles like my old i560 printer had. So how do I do something like that on a brother printer?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
AFAIK brother printers have piezo head, don't know about cleaning part. There must be maintenance tab etc.

chobo2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Smile said:
AFAIK brother printers have piezo head, don't know about cleaning part. There must be maintenance tab etc.
I don't know what a piezon heat is.

Also I can't find a maintenance tab anywhere in the printing options.

Inkin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Brother is the only printer out there that does it own print head cleaning every once in a while. (LC-41 & LC-51 cartridges)

If you need to do one manually. On the printer, hit: The "Ink" button - move with arrow keys to "Cleaning". Now hit the "Start" button.

If you print mostly black. Check your settings. On some of the printer when being setup will ask, "Use CMY for black?" It just asked you if you want to use the colors for making the black together.

If you wondering why you print in black the color cartridges are empty too. You now have your answer.

chobo2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Smile said:
Here is avideo for mfc-420cn print head cleaning http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DSZNhEj3o4
I tried to install your printer and I can't find any cleaning utility too :(

Very strange Brother printer design.
Hmm looks complicated to clean. Oh well if it breaks I got replacement warranty. If it breaks after the manufacture warranty is up I can bring it to the store and get a brand new printer no questions asked. That's good for a year and really I doubt the printer will last more then 3 years aways.

Inkin said:
Brother is the only printer out there that does it own print head cleaning every once in a while. (LC-41 & LC-51 cartridges)

If you need to do one manually. On the printer, hit: The "Ink" button - move with arrow keys to "Cleaning". Now hit the "Start" button.

If you print mostly black. Check your settings. On some of the printer when being setup will ask, "Use CMY for black?" It just asked you if you want to use the colors for making the black together.

If you wondering why you print in black the color cartridges are empty too. You now have your answer.
Interesting at least I have the option to clean when needed. It's also interesting that the ink level gauge of the machine is more aqurate. The software tells me the ink is still full where the one on the machine shoes that it has gone down by a bit.

Where do I check for the use "CMY for black"? is this a setting on the machine or in the software settings since i don't want to use the colors to make black that first wastes the color ink and you get what some murky look black?

Inkin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
As I posted earlier, for the "CMY for black". you will have to look it up in your manual.

You won't get a murky black from mixing all the colors together. That is how some printers make a darker black.

chobo2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Inkin said:
As I posted earlier, for the "CMY for black". you will have to look it up in your manual.

You won't get a murky black from mixing all the colors together. That is how some printers make a darker black.
Hmm in my Digital media class we learned that if you mix "CMY" together you get a muddy brown.

As for the printer using CMY to make black I can't find anything in the manual about it so I am guessing it does not have that feature.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
chobo2 said:
Hmm in my Digital media class we learned that if you mix "CMY" together you get a muddy brown.

As for the printer using CMY to make black I can't find anything in the manual about it so I am guessing it does not have that feature.
Correct - mixing C/M/Y gives a dark gray/brown. Most photo printers use a mixture of these 3 inks for the lighter grays, then gradually blend in black as the colors get darker. Some printers don't have a "photo black", and they can't print dark gray/black as well as printers with a photo black.