Purging w/hard water

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
At a pressure I'm using with 25cc syringe that is more than your 60cc I don't drill any extra holes. The maze part hole is enough for the water to escape. I use up to 6 syringes of hot distilled water. Plus 3 times vacuum fill the thing with same distilled water.

I was able to clean 2 PM PC cartridges that had ink flow problems (the ink would not flow to the sponge), and another 5 cartridges already.

arlynlemuel07

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
stratman said:
Your local City Hall can direct you to information concerning the mineral/chemical content of your city's tap water. You could also have your water checked, for a fee usually, to see how "hard" your personal tap water is. Those that have well water have had a test at some time as part of a home purchase or a maintenance check.

If you're unsure or just want to be cautious, you could use only DISTILLED WATER, which is water that has had most or all minerals, bacteria, and virii removed by the distillation process (boiling and condensing) leaving behind nearly pure H2O. Withouth the minerals to scale up the sponge, or the bacteria and virii to gunk up the sponge, you should have the best chance for a smooth flow of ink through the sponge.

There is another school of thought that says to flush with tap water first (as long as it's not very hard... whatever that means) and then do a final flush with distilled water to remove most of the mineral content in the tap water remaining in the sponge.

For more info on purified water see whacky wikipedia at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distilled_water.

Finally, exactly how would tap water purged cartridges affect printheads, or, how would a tap water purged printhead affect the printhead from mineral buildup? Good question for which I don't know.

My Cannon printer has 2 picoliter nozzles (IIRC), which is two trillionth's of a liter. I'll leave it to someone else to comment on particulate, bacteria and virii sizes and comparing that to printer nozzle sizes in order to understand risk of clogging up a printhead.
I have agreed on the saying that to flush with tap water first and then do a final flush with distilled water to remove most of the mineral content in the tap water remaining in the sponge. But as long as it's not very hard, right? But I don't have any idea about that.