Reaction score
Hi
This is an extract from wikipedia.
Propylene glycol is used:

As a humectant food additive, labeled as E number E1520
As a moisturizer in medicines, cosmetics, food, toothpaste, mouth wash products
As a carrier in fragrance oils
As an ingredient in massage oils
In smoke machines to make artificial smoke for use in firefighters' training and theatrical productions
As a solvent for food colors and flavorings
If you know a Baker try them for PG.
Aussie

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
15kywalker said:
pharmacist said:
A second good choice would be glycerine (available at your local drugstore/pharmacy), but use 2 % instead of 3 %.
Hey pharmacist, thanks for all your help. I've been learning a lot from reading through your posts. There are a few things I was hoping you could clarify.

1) In your response to this topic --> http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=19256 you said to use 3 % glycerine or propylene glycol but here you say to use 2% instead of 3%. So, I was just wondering should we use 3% propylene glycol and 2% glycerin or does it not matter that much?

2) Also, what percentage of isopropyl alcohol should we be using? Also, what exactly do you mean by "pharmaceutical degree" in the aforementioned link to the other topic?

3) Is there a certain type of container that would be best to store the solution for long term viability? What about the environment?

Thanks.
It is completely safe and actually propylene glycol is potable (NOT to be confused with ethylene glycol which is a very toxic and even lethal). The percentage of 20 % isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) ensures it is autopreservative, that is: it will not spoil for years. Any liquor containing more than 20 % alcohol can also be kept for years.

Glycerin is much more viscous and thicker, therefore you'll need less. Pharmaceutical degree is pharmaceutical quality, so very pure without any contaminants as in the case with so-called technical quality products.