Purging pigment ink carts

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Thanks avolanche.

Hot water ?

On your ShopVac setup...do you just adapt it down to 1/2" dia. and use full power ?

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
I used cold water.I didn't know if the hot might affect the foam.I'm sure warm is OK.

I took a piece of plastic(from an empty windshield washer fluid gallon jug) and made a "funnel"......to step down from the shop vac hoses size to the tubing size that fits over the ink outlet(1/2" sounds right....can't remember).Full power on the vac(I have a big one).When done,you can put the cartridge in the sun for a while to completely dry them out.I saw one post where you can actually suck out the water by mouth.I assume the water is safe enough to suck out!The vac was easy,though.And I did a batch of empties.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Thanks avolanche!
I've flushed the color carts with 140F water with no ill effects.
Hmmm....I think I'll pass on the P.T. Barnum method :eek:

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Hot tap water used here. I've blown on the air vent and on the fill hole I make over the reservoir to get lots of the water out, and then used an old vacuum cleaner with in intermediate plastic container to catch the majority of the remaining water. sucking on it to get the water out? I'd buy a used vacuum from a garage sale first! I wouldn't use your favorite expensive home vacuum cleaner, however, unless it is made for water pickup. Even with an intermediate container to catch the water you will still get 100% humidity air in the works. Not too good for motors, etc. A shop vac or a "wet and dry" vac is best, but I have an old vacuum cleaner that I don't care much about anyway.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
I recently decided to purge a 3rd party bci-3ebk that has been refilled with pigmented ink and has shown sign of difficult ink flow. I was surprised that I was unable to restore the cartridge. I did not use any chemicals nor hot water. When I realized that water could not restore it I simply threw it away. I would rather replace it than taking a risk trying to reuse it still. It was a cheap aftermarket compatible cartridge. I replaced it with another cheap one. It worked great and has been used since then in an mp780.