purging and drying cli 8 oem carts

artise

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have had some serious trouble with my cyan wicking into my brand new yellow cart. I've removed them and cleaned the piece that all the carts fit into per Neil's instructions. I then purged my troublesome carts and they came out nice and clean. I also blew through the top hole and tried to get as much water out as I could. Right now they are sitting up on their end and I don't know if I should just leave them to dry or what. Am I doing the right thing?
thanks
Canon pixma ip6700d

artise

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Grandad thanks for the info. I am really new at this and hope I am on the right track. I am wondering if I should soak my print head in alcohol. I did the air clean really really well but maybe missed some ink? I then purged my carts according to your directions. I am drying them and am not sure it is ok to just air dry them for a couple days. I keep blowing the water out of them each day. Then I can go ahead and refill them and everything should be ok???? I'm frustrated as I just bought the new yellow and it got ruined. It's awfully expensive buying all new carts but the cyan one seems to be the culprit from what I can figure. I've read so much on this forum that it confuses me so I am hoping that I am going to solve my problem. Can you tell me if I am on the right track here or point me to some clear information? thanks again.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Try blotting up the extra ink in the pads as mentioned in this post, which I found using the forum's search feature.

There are more posts where this is discussed to give you more ideas.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
artise said:
I have had some serious trouble with my cyan wicking into my brand new yellow cart.
Are these carts genuine Canon ?
If they are poorly constructed aftermarket carts, that could be the cause of your troubles.

artise

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
yes they are oem carts thanks

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Your Cyan cartridge is leaking. It is the one to replace or fix. It leaked ink out into the pad. The ink is then wicked up by the Yellow one. Did you refill these cartridges? you may have filled too much ink into the Cyan causing it to leak.

artise

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The yellow was a new cartridge and the cyan has been filled. Do you think I have cleaned the print head enough? I've blown it out with air compression and wiped off the underside with denatured alcohol. I guess I should get a new cyan cart? Hope that clears up my problems. I had to purge the yellow cart. :eek:( Is the pad the same thing as the little round thing on the print head?

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
You said that the cyan cartridge is refilled. Please tell us what refill method you used. Did you open a hole over the tank which holds liquid ink? If so, how did you open the hole, and how are you sealing the hole after injecting ink?

Your answers may lead to more questions, but be patient with us. There are solid reasons behind the questions.

artise

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I bought a refill kit from computer friends. They have a booklet that tells you to open a hole over the tank and then fill it and put in the blue plunger...........that was before I found this site a few days ago. I used there little tool and opened it carefully as per the instructions.

I am patient and hope to have all this figured out and up and running smoothly again. I appreciate everyone's help!

BTW at this point all of my carts were refilled except the yellow one that was brand new.