Project? - i1Pro cradle needed

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Have you ever consider to change ArgyllCMS printtarg to portrait mode?
I prefer to use portrait to squeeze more patches on 1 A4.
Just had a look at the ArgyllCMS docs and can't find how to do that but it does feel a little like you just slapped me upside the head to create a very effective "Doh!" moment.
:he

I'm looking now but do you have a link or cmd line example of how I'd do that?

EDIT: Found it!!
Why on earth do they not document that bit with the keyword Portrait included?

Anyway, in case anyone else finds this post while looking you simply add an R to the -p variable (eg: -pA4R)

Last edited:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The portrait mode suggestion solved my problem and leaves me feeling a little sheepish but then hey, if you can't fall on your face occasionally you aren't human right?... :hu

Anyway, I thought I'd share the small adjustments I made to make the manual scanning process a little easier, in case they're useful to anyone and/or in case someone spots any potential problems I hadn't considered.

The mods include... Two feet fashioned from Sugru so that the scan guide can sit horizontal on the drawing board ruler.. with a couple of strips of electricians tape to allow smooth gliding as required.

Image 1 shows the feet with the scan guide upside down (Yes you'll need to turn it 180 degrees to get it to work properly)

Image 2 shows the close up with the feet on the ruler

And lastly I used some nano tape with the backing strip still on (purely because it was thick enough) to provider a small spacer that lifts the scanner guide up and stops the i1Pro unit from scratching the target surface.
(See image 3)

sugru-feet.jpg
sugru-feet2.jpg
nano-tape.jpg

Last edited:

kalides

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pro 9000 mk2 epson wf
Never thought I'd be posting in the 3D printing forums but here I am, cap in hand, eating my words (enjoy it while it lasts!)...

I've found myself digging out my i1 Pro1 profiling tool but am getting very frustrated with the limitations and poor design of the profiling jig that holds the i1 Pro unit and (allegedly) allows you to scan across the target.

View attachment 14126

The unit that I have is limited in that it can only handle standard size targets and not allow targets that have been created to take advantage of more of the A4 format so the slot that you see above is about 5cm (2") too narrow for the targets I'm trying to use... Add to that the i1Pro unit regularly scrapes across the target which causes errors when reading the target so I'd like to get something that does a better job of holding the unit so it can scan.

One improvement I've managed to create is to switch the holder to a drawing board rather than the flimsy plastic backing base so something that would run along a drawing boards slide ruler would be very welcome..

Don't know if there's already something that out there or that could be adapted but I'd really like to be able to breath some more life into this thing rather than having to invest in another unit when this one would work fine if it wasn't for the issues above.

Anyone got any ideas, suggestions, etc...?
Never thought I'd be posting in the 3D printing forums but here I am, cap in hand, eating my words (enjoy it while it lasts!)...

I've found myself digging out my i1 Pro1 profiling tool but am getting very frustrated with the limitations and poor design of the profiling jig that holds the i1 Pro unit and (allegedly) allows you to scan across the target.

View attachment 14126

The unit that I have is limited in that it can only handle standard size targets and not allow targets that have been created to take advantage of more of the A4 format so the slot that you see above is about 5cm (2") too narrow for the targets I'm trying to use... Add to that the i1Pro unit regularly scrapes across the target which causes errors when reading the target so I'd like to get something that does a better job of holding the unit so it can scan.

One improvement I've managed to create is to switch the holder to a drawing board rather than the flimsy plastic backing base so something that would run along a drawing boards slide ruler would be very welcome..

Don't know if there's already something that out there or that could be adapted but I'd really like to be able to breath some more life into this thing rather than having to invest in another unit when this one would work fine if it wasn't for the issues above.

Anyone got any ideas, suggestions, etc...?
i have 2 of the hand held units, here somewhere. i though the software was not available. so i forgot about them. i guess they still work??

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
i have 2 of the hand held units, here somewhere. i though the software was not available. so i forgot about them. i guess they still work??
I gave up with the X-rite software pretty much immediately as it crashed my PC (first time in forever) and the newest version won't even install due to corrupted files.

If you're happy to play with ArgyllCMS though the tools work great.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Just popping in to say I'm loving this discussion!

I was anxiously reading along hoping there would be some epic 3D printed solution or design. ;)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
So, an update...
I managed to get hold of an i1IO unit that came with an old i1Pro ver1 as a bonus.

I'm now in the process of getting everything setup and so far this is what I've done/learned.
  1. Get i1Diagnostics 4.1.2 as this is Windows 10 compatible AND i1Pro ver 1 compat' too. Later versions indicate that aren't happy with the i1Pro ver1. I haven't tested this with 4.2.7 but 4.1.2 works fine so we'll keep that for now.
  2. The i1IO firmware might need updating to 1.0.8 (my unit is on 1.0.7 so I'm leaving it for the moment to see if it needs the update or not)
  3. XRDManager may need downloading and installing if your version of the XRDM services are out of date (picked that nugget up from here)
  4. To get the i1IO to scan for you in a format that works with AgryllCMS it seems I need to use ColorPort so I'm now delving into that.
If anyone wants to chip in and save me from a world of pain that'd be useful at this point ;)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
And here we hit our first hurdle... I have a profile target that I have quite a few pending target prints waiting to be read using this new i1IO but while I get that I need to use the ColorPort app to do this, I can't work out how to convert the ti2 target to the format needed by ColorPort.

So far I've opened the Patch Set > New... > Import Patches and tried importing the TI2 file but the result is completely different from the TIF target and (my ignorance is showing here) I wouldn't know where to begin to reorder the patches to the correct layout. On top of that the layout is over 2 pages, rather than the 1 that my target print is on.

Chances are high I've messed something up and need to start over with the targets and printing (which I'd prefer to avoid if I can) but if there's any pointers that'd be appreciated.

EDIT: For reference I've included my ArgyllCMS files as that may inform any reply.

Attachments

• _Profile-957G355.zip
    5.6 MB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I was using Colorport with an i1iO robot arm long time ago in connection with the ProfileMaker5 software but never with ArgyllCMS. There are supposedly two steps - the frist one dealing with the layout of the patch sheet - dimensions - number and color of patches - and whether this info can be exchanged via a common data format - and the 2nd step is the actual scanning of a patch sheet - that one which was printed with the printer/paper which is supposed to be profiled - the data collected via Colorport needs to be transferred to ArgyllCMS - or other software like the old ProfileMaker5. I don't know if there is info available in a ArgyllCMS user forum about that - I regret but I'm not familiar with ArgyllCMS.

I don't think the mentioned revision levels are of any problem, Colorport is not supported anymore, the i1Pro is not supported anymore since a long time and the diagnostics just follows this - it added support for the I1Pro3 and i1iO3 and removed support for the older hardware. And the driver update may only be necessary if your run further XRite i1Profiler software which you don't.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I was using Colorport with an i1iO robot arm long time ago in connection with the ProfileMaker5 software but never with ArgyllCMS.

Urgh.. :\ Ah well... Looks like I'm going on one of my adventures then :pop

There are supposedly two steps - the frist one dealing with the layout of the patch sheet - dimensions - number and color of patches - and whether this info can be exchanged via a common data format
That's the bit I think I'm going to struggle with here... but I've made some inroads... It turns out the best way to get your profile targets reordering correctly is to go a bit mad in excel with lots of data imports, exports and manipulation.

However having managed to get some bits done I can see that my target files are not going to play ball as the minimum patch size is 6x7mm and mine are slightly but significantly smaller than that (or appear to be). So I may have to manually scan my existing targets and start fresh with Colorport targets once that backlog has been cleared... We'll see.

- and the 2nd step is the actual scanning of a patch sheet - that one which was printed with the printer/paper which is supposed to be profiled - the data collected via Colorport needs to be transferred to ArgyllCMS

That's where txt2ti3 will come in so that part won't be too traumatic (well.. we'll see anyway).

I don't think the mentioned revision levels are of any problem, Colorport is not supported anymore, the i1Pro is not supported anymore since a long time and the diagnostics just follows this - it added support for the I1Pro3 and i1iO3 and removed support for the older hardware. And the driver update may only be necessary if your run further XRite i1Profiler software which you don't.
Thanks for those nuggets.