1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: 3D Metal Printing
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Profiling Printer with OCP Ink

Discussion in 'Everything Else InkJet Printer Related' started by wcandrews@sccoast.net, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Feb 23, 2011
    stratman

stratman Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon MP830, Pencil
    This was precisely my thoughts on the subject and why deviance from it did not make sense to me.

2. Feb 23, 2011
    stratman

stratman Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon MP830, Pencil
    How much would museum-quality glass or conservation glass (UV blocking) help in preserving the printed image?

3. Feb 24, 2011
    RogerB

RogerB Print Addict

Printer Model:
    Epson Pro3880
    I wouldn't like to try to quantify this, but since the UV content is mostly responsible for the light fading, a UV-blocking glass would obviously increse print life. That assumes of course that other effects, like gas fading, haven't caused big changes too.

4. Mar 5, 2011
    l_d_allan

l_d_allan Fan of Printing

I have some concerns whether "compare the prints to the original scene" is the best way to evaluate photo paper quality regarding color fidelity. To me, the issue is that light quality varies from day to day, and hour to hour. I find it difficult to have confidence that the original scene when the picture was taken is close enough when you return to the same scene with the print.

The same somewhat applies to test prints ... you can make prints straight from the file, and remove the variable of monitor calibration. However, you don't really know what the colors of the actual subjects really looked like.

My practice is to use several colorful paintings that my wife did of our pets, to augment the Kodak-like test files. I tried to carefully make photos of these, with a gray card and SpyderCube in the frame for white balance and exposure. When I make prints from those, I can look at both of them in an area with a north facing sliding glass door for high quality natural light. The original paintings provide a "ground truth" for what I think is a more objective comparison to the colors.

YMMV.

5. Mar 14, 2011
    l_d_allan

l_d_allan Fan of Printing

Thanks. Added to my growing inventory of test images.

6. Sep 30, 2012
    Emulator

Emulator Printer Master Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon Pro9000 II
    This discussion was/is interesting but faded away without real conclusions. I am inclined toward Stratman's view and would say treat the profiling target as you intend to treat/view the print. That is, leave the profile target print to fully dry until it is stable. The intervening undried ink state is not relevant.

I picked up on these posts while looking for more on the 1315 color_test_image.png file. I was finding that the colour strips as printed were not reaching full white. The starts were darkened by a greyish haze rather than deeper colour. Banding in the mid to dark colours was noticeable in some colours but less obvious when fully dried. This description sounds as though the printer did a terrible job, but in normal use it produces excellent results. So clearly this is a stiff test. Before commenting might I suggest you try printing the file on your own printer!!

The results are all influenced by profile, intent, paper, ink and printer.

Regards Ian