Profiles and Windows

jopereira

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have a BROTHER MFC-440CN with third party inks on refillable cartridges.
I made a profile to use with normal paper (yes, these inks produce a very different final result!!).

My problem is:
I cannot use this profile with every application, or can I ? Is there some kind of application that intercepts normal printing, applies profile and send it to printer that way?

Or is there any other way since Brother drivers dont managed color (profiles)?

TIA.

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Is there an "ICM" setting in the printer driver somewhere? If so, you can set a default profile in Windows for the printer to use.

jopereira

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
RMM said:
Is there an "ICM" setting in the printer driver somewhere? If so, you can set a default profile in Windows for the printer to use.
No, that's the problem, no ICM setting + Windows color management is only for software that wants to use it, so really no point telling Windows about a ICM profile... Drivers from other manufactures DO use Windows color management info.

Applications wise, it's so strange that, for instance, Adobe has different behavior in PS and LR. While LR uses windows color management information (+ICM selected inside LR), PS doesnt (only internal ICM info is used and sent to printer, disregarding Windows info).

What I really need is a piece of software that captures all printer info and applies ICM to it (like the driver from other manufactures does). Just that. :(

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for the exact same software. I imagine the only way to do this is to print to a virtual printer that then manages color management on the output side. This software can make simple inexpensive printers quite potent.

Epson printer drivers for wider than letter size all provide this facility within their driver. BTW, even the Epson reps who provide so called learning sessions at shows don't know of this feature that they provide. I know of no other printer manufacturer that allows the driver manage color like this.

jopereira

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
mikling said:
I have been looking for the exact same software. I imagine the only way to do this is to print to a virtual printer that then manages color management on the output side. This software can make simple inexpensive printers quite potent.
I was affraid about that... :(
Something like InkSaver (cannot post link here) with ICM management would do.

jopereira

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I would like to share my findings on this subject.
It may not seem the best solution, but maybe it can do the job.

Zan Image Printer is a, imagine that, image printing software that is color management aware and can automatically redirect result image to a physical printer!

It can be invisible is this process (I think) so maybe we have a partial solution.

Code:
http://www.zan1011.com/

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
jopereira

Taking the Zan Image printer route is not a great move at all.
Its not what you are looking for in a colour profile and you may end up pulling out your remaining hair.. :(

jopereira

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
jopereira

Taking the Zan Image printer route is not a great move at all.
Its not what you are looking for in a colour profile and you may end up pulling out your remaining hair.. :(
Opss!
May I ask, why not?
I have already created my profiles... Zan Image Printer takes printing requests, produces an ICC changed output based on my .ICM file (PDF, TIFF, JPG, etc.), and outputs this result imediatly to my MFC-440CN. What's wrong in this workflow? :/

Of course, this is only for normal printing (Word, PDF, EXCEL, etc). I'll keep using PS and LR to get my photos printed since these are already ICC awared.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
jopereira Of course, this is only for normal printing (Word, PDF, EXCEL, etc). I'll keep using PS and LR to get my photos printed since these are already ICC awared.
I just have to ask, why you would need colour profiling on Word, PDF, EXCEL, etc.. :|

jopereira

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
jopereira Of course, this is only for normal printing (Word, PDF, EXCEL, etc). I'll keep using PS and LR to get my photos printed since these are already ICC awared.
I just have to ask, why you would need colour profiling on Word, PDF, EXCEL, etc.. :|
I could post a picture, but I'll keep you on the safe side - you could not take it :D

Seriously, the inks I bought have a very different result from original Innobella (Brother) inks.
Even so, a profiled paper is always better.