Profile Results

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
ok i originally joined this forum many years ago to learn about refilling, since then the amount of information gained has been priceless shall i say, but today i installed a printer profile for my MP990, i am using IS Inks and the profile was from mike at precision colors, i just wanted to post the results because i am very suprised at the results, anyone who may think that installing profiles is too difficult or just may not want to try it, well look at these results i was very amazed and it was very easy to do oh yeah the program i am using is elements 6 but i am told they will work with many other programs. the top photo is printed straight from my MP990, the bottom photo is from the MP990 with the Profile supplied by precision colors, again thank you very much for the profile

2123_proof.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I dont calibrate my monitor or use profiles, I usually jiggle with the colour setting
if a need arises and am usually very satisfy with the results.

Just looking at your two test pictures, well I much prefer the top one;
mine turns out just like it if youre interested.. :)

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Something is wrong. Wrong.

Check your settings in the Canon driver. Also, the color space on the image file is ProPhoto. I think that was overlooked . Make sure that your monitor is displaying it properly as well.

When starting out in color management with ICC profiles, stick with something most monitors and browsers even if uncalibrated will render somewhat close,....sRGB color space images. When you figure it out, then you "may" want to go Adobe RGB but there are complications in using that color space when passing files around or displaying on browsers.

Try this one.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/downloadable_1/DL_page.html

Use the Fuji sRGB one. That one will tell if you have the settings correct and will render half decent on a run of the mill monitor.

You're doing something that once you figure it out, is fairly easy but until then is actually quite daunting.

Be prepared to waste a few sheets trying and don't print large until you figure it out.

crenedecotret

Print Addict
Reaction score
There is way too much red in the bottom image. I completely agree with mikling, I would start out with sRGB. AdobeRGB or ProPhoto might be able to produce slightly better pictures, but you'll need to convert to sRGB anyways before sending anything to the outside world.

But getting your monitor calibrated is a good idea if you're serious about doing any picture editing. There are some old spyder2 and spyder3s out there for pretty cheap

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
mrelmo

I think you are going through the learning phase of using profiles, as most of us do. You have to read a lot and check all the settings. A single error can cause a major problem.

I would expect the colours to look more like this:-
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=54500#p54500

You will find the results of profiling are rewarding, when you get everything right.

Regards

Ian

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
There is obviously a lot to learn when using color management, but unless your scanner is profiled and you properly apply the profile to each scanned image you can't use scanned images to judge the colors in a print.

Only the OP can judge the original 2 prints, using his eyes to determine which is more pleasing to him.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I think mrelmo is getting his software (elements 6) take care of his colour management
and forgetting to turn off printer manages colour which would produce these same results.

His scanner has nothing to do with how the posted photos look on here at all
because they were both scanned together as a pair..

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
The Hat said:
...snip... His scanner has nothing to do with how the posted photos look on here at all
The scanned images can be used to show relative differences between the two prints, but they cannot be used to say which print has the "better" color. The scanner and its settings have absolute control over how scanned images appear on the forum.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Grandad35 said:
The scanned images can be used to show relative differences between the two prints, but they cannot be used to say which print has the "better" color.
The scanner and its settings have absolute control over how scanned images appear on the forum.
I totally agree with you, but the difference is quite evident to see in this case.
Grandad35 said:
Only the OP can judge the original 2 prints, using his eyes to determine which is more pleasing to him.
And youre perfectly right again but the OP is still not very pleased with his results.

The Hat wrote:

...snip... His scanner has nothing to do with how the posted photos look on here at all
I was merely pointing out the relative differences and not the colour differences. !

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
yes i believe the print that emulator points to is what i am trying for so i will be busy LOL, work in process