Problems with black

Norma1

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum. So Hello to you all! Nice to be here.

I am hoping to get some advice on the following problem:

My printer prints CMY beautifully, but the black is streaked. When I print out the nozzle check pattern, the black web has a lot of gaps always at the exact same place.

I have a Canon Pixma MP800, bought in 2006. I use it rarely, so I presumed a dried up print head might be the problem. Cleaned the head as best I could (water only). But perhaps I didn't do a good enough job? (After reading ghwellsjr's fantastic post on the anatomy of a Canon print head, I have my suspicions.)

Anyway, the problem which actually started at least a year ago remains. The printouts are identical, with the gaps in the same places. It works better when I change the blacks to some other dark colour dark green, for instance.

I use third-party cartridges, which I buy from InkClub.com. I know, I shouldn't, but it's a question of money, of course.

I'm contemplating changing to laser, since they are less sensitive to sitting idle on my desk. But it would be nice to get my old Canon in working order.

Happy New Year!

Norma1

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
The black ink matrix I believe you are referring to is the PGI-5BK cart, which is a pigment ink. Pigment ink clogs can be very "tenacious", and take patience and time to clear. I would soak the removed print head in about 1/2" of Original Windex (I assume you are in the USA) sitting on a folded paper towel or toilet tissue at LEAST overnight, flooding the inlet screen "Buttons" for all the carts, then blow out the ink/windex with canned air into the inlet ports, allow the electronic connections to dry, and see if there's imrovement.

A more aggressive alternative is to fit a flexible plastic tube carefully over the inlet port and force windex through the head with a syringe (or equal, I use a slightly modified turkey baister that fits the port well), allow to dry, and try again.

Also you will want to test the purge system for operation. This requires flooding the "parking pads" (where the print head sits while idle) with Windex. These may be difficult to reach in your particular printer. You must be able to build up a pool of standing windex atop the pads without it draining away after a minute, then let the printer go through a cleaning cycle, then observe if the pads appear dry afterwards (they should appear dry). If the pools still exist (particularly on the pad used for the Black Pigment ink), the purge system is clogged or blocked. If the windex pool drains away after a minute, there is a leak in the purge system. Purge system problems require considerable printer dis-assembly to address.

Good luck.

Wayne

Norma1

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks turbguy!

I've seen Windex mentioned before and been wondering what it is. No, I'm not in the US. I am an elderly Swedish woman playing at being an inkjet mechanic. :) Anyway, I have come to understand that Windex is a glass cleaner. Can't be sure what would be the equivalent in Sweden, though.

About cleaning the print head: Is there any ingenious way to store the cartridges meanwhile, so that they don't dry up? When I did my rather rapid cleaning, I sat them on a moist tissue. That seemed to work fine. But I realize that's not a good idea for an overnight procedure.

Again, than you for your advice.

Greetings from Stockholm!

Norma1

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Usually, when using genuine Canon cartridges, we use the original cap to prevent drying of the ink outlet at the bottom of the cartridge. It can be held on with a rubber band. I don't know how your cartridges came when new or if you still have the little caps (orange on the Canon carts) if yours came with them. Alternatively, you can use black electrician tape or something like it, but you don't want to use a tape that will leave an adhesive residue. Then you can put the carts in either a sealed plastic bag or a sealed food carton like we use her for storing leftovers in the refrigerator.

The Windex window cleaner is one that has a bit of ammonia, some alcohol, and water. I think there is such an item in the UK, and you may have a similar product in Sweden as well. Otherwise you can start with a mix of water and denatured alcohol that most people have from the pharmacy. OR --- vodka!

Norma1

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi fotofreek!

Thanks, great. I will package the cartridges in some plastic container (haven't kept the caps, I'm afraid now I see why I should have) and try to find something Windex-like to use for dissolving the clogged ink. Waste good vodka never! :)

All the best to you and Happy New Year!

Norma1

Tom Hock

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The cleaning cycle created by the printer does a good job in most cases but repeated cleaning cycles uses a lot of ink which also loads up the waste ink pads and may reduce the useful life of the printer before pad replacement is required. I have been using an Out-of-Printer cleaning procedure which mimics the purge pump vacuum cleaning using my shop vacuum cleaner, and detailed in this link:
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6491

Norma1

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for your help, Tom Hock!

Norma1