Problem with yellow ink from ink grabbers

rjr3684

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I bought a bunch of ink from inkgrabbers.com for my canon i960 and my canon i9100. I was really impressed with their inks and was recomending it to all of my friends. Unfortunately I got a bad batch of yellow ink and it plugged up both printers so bad that I was forced to return the i960 (it was still under warranty) and I received another one. I also returned the print head of the i9100 to the ebay company I bought the printer from and they are currently trying to fix the problem with the print head. I had done all of the things recommended to clean these heads, from forced air to rinsing with water and using denatured alcohol. I've sense stopped using their yellow inks but have had no problems with the other colors. My question is "Has anyone else experinced this problem?"

rduve

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I am also the new owner of a Canon i9900 printer. The prints generated from the original Canon cartridges were breathtaking in their brilliance, saturation, and color balance. After reading only positive reviews about inkgrabber, I ordered six complete sets of generic ink tanks from them. Last night I ran out of photo cyan and photo magenta, and replaced the empty Canon cartridges with inkgrabber's. I reprinted an image that I had previously printed to compare and noticed a significant color shift toward green. The previously neutral grey was now a light green. I contacted inkgrabber about this, and they are telling me that I cannot mix brands and that once I replaced all cartridges the image would be balanced. However, most of my other cartridges are still almost full.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it true that the color balance is neutral once only inkgrabber are used? I am about ready to return them. The clogging issue with the yellow ink as mentioned in the other post makes me even more concerned.

wrbjr

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
rduve, I have a new I960. Ordered some inkgrabber replacements. Two tanks are now inkgrabber out of 6 original tanks. There is a slight shift toward the green, but not too bad. I have yellow on hand as its the next tank to go dry..... hmmm. Wish there was someway to identify the problem yellow tanks. In talking to inkgrabber did they allude to this?

tcallen

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have an i9900 that has a problem with the photo cyan. I have been using ink grabber cartriges with fairly good results. The best conlor rendition has been with cheap print works semi gloss paper I bought at target. I now have a problem with the photo cyan. It will only print this color about 1/10th of the print then it becomes clogged. I have used compessed air to clean the head with no luck and then I soaked the head still the same problem. I have wasted more money on ink cartriges trying to get this working than the cost of a new printer. I'm off today to get a new one.

rjr3684

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I did talk to the inkgrabber people and they said it must be a bad batch and that if I returned them they would send me some new ones. I declined because I don't want to risk using their yellow inks. I have been buying Canon yellow and using the inkgrabber inks I have for the other colors with good results. I am thinking about using the ink refills the Neil Slade recommends, since he seems to have so much sucess with it. I wonder if Neil has been using the inkgrabber ink lately? Anyway if any of you know or have success with a 3rd party ink I would appreciate knowing it.

wrbjr

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well, now my "low ink" alarm for the yellow tank is starting to bark at me. To use the yellow ink from Inkgrabber or not... that is the question.

wrbjr

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I put it in. First 8x10 with lots of yellow came out fine. We shall c.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Thanks wrbjr... keep us posted!

rjr3684

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well I went to COSTCO and bought their IMS refill system. What a mess I made with my first attempt, in fact I drilled the hole in the wrong place and ruined the tank and got ink all over my hands (It really is indelible). Anyway my next try went much better and then subsequent tries got better and better. I paid about $18 for the kit and they give you enought ink to refill 84 cartridges (3 blacks and 1 each of cyan, yellow, magenta). That comes our to about 23 cents a cartridge refill. At these prices plus using the costco paper at 120 sheets for $18 its costing me less then 20 cents to print a 8x10 photo. I have been printing 100's of 8x10 and 8.5x11 from my canon d20 and I couldn't be happier. The only problem with the costco refills is that they don't come with the photo magenta and phot cyan, but they can be bought on their web site. In addition you can get simple black 8x10 plastic and glass frames from WalMart at 2 for $2 which frame the photos in such a way that the photo is emphasized not the frame. I'm filling my office wall with lots of phots and currently have over 30 hung at work (I work at Boeing as a programmer). Still want to hear from anyone who is using the ink grabber inks extensively so that I can lay to rest my problem as an aberration instead of a recurring problem with their inks. Thanks for all of the replies so far guys. Hey WRBJR let me know how your yellow ink works once you have printten 10 or so photos, cause that seemed to be how long it would take before mine would clog.

rjr3684

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Sorry guys my COSTCO refills were from IMS not MSI now I am afraid to use the ink I refilled. BTW I just bought a i9900 printer on ebay for $308 and will soon start thinking about what to do about inks for it. Any suggestions out there? I'll probably break down and buy the MSI refills and try them. I'll let everyone know how that turns out.