Problem with my Canon MP640

Red John

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
With the electrical tape I obtain very good results. Now I stamp well.

The problem is that I have dirtied my hands and everything what has surrounded me in her recharges.

It is very difficult to recharge without staining anything. In what concerns my person it is one impossible tarea.

Thank you for the help.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Just make sure you use a fresh piece of tape and the surface is clean and dry.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Red John

Try wearing a pair of latex gloves before you start to refill.. :)

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Red John said:
With the electrical tape I obtain very good results. Now I stamp well.
The problem is that I have dirtied my hands and everything what has surrounded me in her recharges.
I'm a refilling newbe who has only done one batch of about 10 CLI-8 carts for a 9000-2, so consider the source ... but I wouldn't think that what you describe above would fit my expectations of "very good results". YMMV.

Yeah, I had a mess with the first several cartridges I reloaded in that batch with a 20ml syringe using the "traditional top-fill method". I was considering giving up on the whole idea of refilling. I may try some other techniques, including squeeze bottles. There is a definite learning curve. By the last several in that first batch of 10 carts, I think I could have refilled and kept my hands clean.

I don't write this to brag or "pat myself on the back" or to "beat up" on Red John. I consider myself one of the least experienced refillers on this forum with lots of room for improvement is all aspect of photography, especially printing and refilling. I fully anticipate that when I do my next batch of 5 to 10+ carts, the first several will be messy cause I'll be rusty. Frustrating, but also humbling.

But from what you describe, perhaps you need to slow down and/or rethink use of the electical tape on the outlet port. I think it was Vince Lombardi who insisted something like "It isn't practice that makes perfect ... only perfect practice makes perfect".

Seems like the sticky side of the electical tape would be prone to attracting grit, which could get to the print-head?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I use vinyl tape on the outlet ports all the time without any problem (except when it comes off) but I think Red John is talking about tape on the top refill hole to keep his stopper in place.