Problem with my Canon MP640

Red John

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello friends,

This morning I started to refill three OEM cartridges with Hobbicolors ink. It was the first time and I basted all hands with colors. Just as a child.

The problem that I would want to raise is the bad impression I get now. I've done several head cleaning, head alignment automatic test patterns.

I show the results to see the problem:

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/5005/manuald.jpg
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/584/patronr.jpg
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/9876/scan0001up.jpg
http://overpic.net/viewer.php?file=xv2knpwl3h1hso0bp1dk.jpg

I have refilled OEM cartridges on my Canon MP640 printer.

If anyone could tell me what I did wrong and how I can correct this problem I would appreciate it greatly.

Cheers.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hopefully the cross contamination is caused by a leaking magenta cartridge, and not a leakage inside the print head. Maybe a new or another magenta cartridge and more nozzle cleaning will cure your printer ? My guess is that it is caused by the magenta cartridge, as the problem started after refill. For more info on cross contamination you could check out this thread : http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6224

Edit: Your picture scan001.jpg seems to indicate magenta ink leaking very badly. So I am almost sure that is the reason for the problem.

Peter.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Red John

The first thing you should do is not print anymore pictures, or do any head aligning till your problem is fixed.
PeterBJ rightly pointed out that your magenta cartridge is also leaking.
It looks like your yellow and cyan are not printing at all, are they the other two cartridges you filled.
What method of refilling are you using Top or bottom fill, it would help to know this.
But for now remove the magenta cartridge before it leaks out all over your printer.. :(

Red John

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have refilled top. I use OEM carts. I have looked at the cart of magenta and it was it emptied. There has been an escape. I do not understand the motive of it, since I have used OEM carts and I was thinking that this problem did not exist here.

Must I use another type of carts? The patern test go out badly. I have cleaned headprinter an endless number of times.

I have just refilled the remaining carts less the black pigment. All that smells me very badly.

iP4XXX

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610, Canon iP4200
How are you sealing the refill hole? You probably did not get a good seal on the magenta cartridge for some reason.

Red John

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have used the typical stoppers that come with the kits of ink. I believe that the stopper fits well in the hole since if I put the cart upside-down it does not leak.

Must I use another type of no genuine refillable cartridges?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Red John
When top filling your OEM cartridges you should be careful not to overfill the reservoir as that could lead to sponge saturation
or blockage of the top air vents, resulting in very little ink getting to your print head.
Top filling of a cartridge is so easy that some guys not all tend to rush the procedure and end up with problems later, I had being guilty of that sin myself.
When you have enough ink in your cartridge the most important thing to remember is that the seal of the filling hole must be 100% airtight, 99% wont do.
Take your time and dont try to hurry things along, just get it right the first time and youll be an expert in no at all.
The best cartridges for continued refilling in my humble opinion are OEMs..

Red John

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have just seen the magenta cart and it is completely empty and without stopper. How is it possible that it has jumped? Would it help to stick the stopper with cellophane?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Red John Would it help to stick the stopper with cellophane?
Try squeezing the stopper in a little more that might help you get a better seal also electrical tape would be a better option.
I use hot wax to seal my cartridges.. :)

Bertil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Use the German durchstichmethod instead and seal the old topholes with silicon-or combined silicon-stoppers.I flushed my old cartridges by drilling a top hole extra ,quickly flushed them ,let them dry and then sealed with silicon and refilled using the German method.Works perfectly.In the past I happened to mix up the colors and had to clean the printhead thoroughly.It can be done.
Bertil