Problem with Canon ip6000D black not printing

Jane

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
It's interesting that another thread referenced this thread for a similar problem:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2999

Several people suggested that your original problem was due to overfilling, causing an ever-growing drop of ink on the bottom of the printhead that blocked more and more nozzles during the course of the nozzle check. It appears that you solved this problem by replacing the cartridge with a new one (presumably not a refilled one).

As the first sentence of my latest post said: "After things seemed to be improving I decided to get a new black cart. on Sunday, May 18." At that point the ONLY COLOR that showed ANY PROBLEMS was the black.

Now it appears that you have a new problem. When you do a nozzle check, is cyan COMPLETELY missing?

Also, from my post immediately prior to this one: "Today I did a nozzle check before the photos that I was ready to print and discovered that it has NO Cyan printing."

You should refrain your printing to ONLY nozzle checks until you get this resolved. Usually this symptom points to an electrical problem either in the printhead or in the drivers within the printer. Had you removed your printhead and subjected it to a cleaning solution?

Late in this latest checking I did remove the printhead and blotted the bottom with a tissue; which resulted in virtually nothing on that tissue. I DID NOT use a cleaning solution on it WHILE OUT OF THE PRINTER (just your recommendation for the black while in the printer).

Did you try the cleaning process I described earlier in this thread? Please tell us what else you tried and what happened.
I did use your cleaning process and it was after that seemed to be helping that I got the new cartridge. Once again a qoute from my post just previous to this one: "Going to it seemed to finish solving my problems as I got a good nozzle check and printed a number of pages that were mainly text."

I think that pretty well covers it other that the very few checks done with the MIS file as mentioned in my immediately previous post: "I have a file from MIS that is supposed to print test pages of any of the six colors or all six on one page. If I do one that is supposed to be cyan it comes out magenta."

On a side note how do you get your reply comments intersparsed with the quotes in a different color? When I do a preview of this the qouted material from your post is not in a box of a different color. So, I did bold some of mine in an effort to make it stand out.

I do appreciate the help. I have already ceased any other printing for the very reason of not wanting to burn anything out.

Thanks
Jane

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I'm still wondering what a nozzle check shows: does it show correct colors or incorrect colors or no colors at all?

Also, concerning your sidenote: you start a quote block with the syntax
ghwellsjr said:
and you end it with
. You can see this syntax if you click on the Quote link at the bottom right of this page.

Jane

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
bbbbb
ghwellsjr said:
I'm still wondering what a nozzle check shows: does it show correct colors or incorrect colors or no colors at all?

Also, concerning your sidenote: you start a quote block with the syntax
ghwellsjr said:
and you end it with
. You can see this syntax if you click on the Quote link at the bottom right of this page.
Sorry I wasnt clear enough about nozzle check pattern. I am posting a scan that I hope comes through clear enough. The odd colors are in what I guess you would call titles at the start of each color bar. Then the only thing off in the bars is the missing bars for the cyan.

In rechecking by removing carts. & head and blotting the nozzles with a tissue found excess magenta. My conclusion is that I had a leaker. This was changed before doing the cleaning listed below and made NO DIFFERENCE in any of the checks.

Before hearing from any of you I have done what I understood this http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2990 procedure to be putting some generic (Windex like) glass cleaner in all slots. But, see now that in doing this part If you find that you have some stubborn nozzles and you want to give up for the day, put Windex on the pads, close the cover so that the head parks, pull the plug on the printer and let it sit that way until the next time you are ready to try again. Oftentimes, that will be enough to unclog the remaining nozzles
I should have had the head in the park position when pulling the plug for the night. I did have the carts removed and capped with the orange ones that come with the Canon carts held on with rubber bands. It did not do the trick and I still get the same nozzle check.

What I was referring to in the question about quotes was doing what was done in post #7 in this thread.

Thanks
Jane

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Oops. Obviously, I cannot show you the syntax because the server justs goes ahead and does what I asked. Here it is again but with parentheses instead of brackets:

You start a quote block with the syntax (quote=ghwellsjr) and you end it with (/quote).

Make sure you change those parentheses back to brackets when you try it out.

Have you removed your printhead since the nozzle checks at the beginning of this thread when the cyan was printing?

It looks like your cyan is not printing at all. This is not a normal nozzle clog problem. It is probably an electrical problem, either in the printhead or in the printer, unless you have a totally clogged cartridge. Can you try another cartridge? If you don't have another cyan, swap your photo cyan with your cyan and see if the problem switches. Power cycle your printer and then don't print anything except nozzle checks.

Jane

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
What Next!!!

I did a search for more cleaning information (which was not as fruitful as I hoped most search engines dont seem to expect thing phrased the way that is natural for me). By going through the steps described at post #4 in the thread here http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2926, earlier in this one and elsewhere I seemed to be making good headway. I left it after a fresh dose of cleaner on the parking pad and the nozzles with the head in the park position. Then this morning took the head out and wiped off excess cleaning fluid; put cartridges back in and kept getting better and better nozzle checks. The light bar from the PC was slightly lighter than I thought it might be but there! Others were as expected.

I then went to printing the photos I had planned on daysssss ago. Each sheet consisted of 3 photos at 4" x 6" on a 8.5" x11" (US letter size) sheet of matte photo paper. This was not constant printing as a sheet of 3 would be set up, printed, those 3 cleared and the next three set up. I went through 12 sheets that were just fine. And then on the 13th sheet (of all sheets!) saw a strong GREEN cast to everything as it started coming out. I canceled the printing, did a nozzle check which showed a lack of PM bars. In checking the actual cartridges found the PM tank side looking like something that had been shaken with bubbles at the top.

As I started this with What Next??????? Until I did that great big continuous print job in April this printer had been giving me very good service.

Jane

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The process described in post #4 of the above link is to purge a print head of all ink so that it can be removed from the printer and stored. You don't want to do that. I recommend doing a process similar to post #5 of this thread or for a clearer description see this link:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=17971#p17971

The green cast on your 13th photo is consistent with the PM not printing during a nozzle check. However, the bubbles in the tank side of you PM cartridge is normal for a cartridge delivering ink. However, as Tin Ho suggested in post #8 of this thread (and others on other threads) the lack of printing can also be caused by too much ink flooding the nozzles. Apparently this can happen with off-brand cartridges or incorrectly refilled Canon cartridges. Another thing that can happen is there can be a coating of dried ink on the bottom of the nozzles preventing them from printing. My cleaning process will solve this problem.

Maybe you should purcase a new Canon PM cartridge to see if that solves your problem. I suggest you get one and make sure the nozzle check shows all nozzles working correctly before proceeding. Follow my process for cleaning until the nozzle check works.

For another source of properly refilled Canon cartridges see the bottom line of my profile below.

Jane

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yes, I should have said I was not surprised to find a PM or M missing after the green print.

This morning the bubbles in the PM were down and I found nothing that looked out of place on the bottom of the head (nozzles). I did a nozzle check that came out fine. So I took a chance and ran the final page with three 4 x 6 photos on it that finishes one project. That sheet turned out fine.

I had looked at the e-bay reference earlier and was disappointed to discover NO Buy It Now. It seemed a good economical source of Canon carts for later refilling without holes already drilled in the top. But . . . they are said to be refilled with Inktec brand ink and I have MIS on hand. Also, I have not found where I can get Inktec here in the US; nor, of course, how it would compare in price to MIS. If you are using Inktec there must me one.

I did refill a Magenta using the German method for the first time and liked it. I only have one needle on hand that is long enough. Will be seeing if I can get any locally; which may be tough in Illinois as I am not up on our rules. I have a black, cyan and photo magenta (Canon) on hand that are ready for their first refill. All others, although Canon, have been refilled.

The thing that is soooo frustrating is that this all started AFTER I tried to do such a big print run of mostly black text last month. BEFORE that it was going so very well for over a year.

Thanks again
Jane

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
InkTec ink is available in small syringes from inkjetcartridge.com. The only other choice is for 1 liter bottles from inktec.com but I don't think you will want to do that.

I think you ought to go ahead and fill your Canon PM using the German method as it will not compromise the ink flow design of the Canon cartridge. I think if you use only Canon cartridges refilled by vacuum or the German method, your problems will go away, at least, I hope so. I have never had any problems with vacuum refilled Canon cartridges and neither have the dozen friends that I refill for.