Problem refilling PGI-5Bk

Andrew

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been refilling the cartridges of my old ip4000 for several years with no major dramas, so I expected to have no problems with the ip3300. However the (standard) PGI-5Bk cartridge does not seem to want to hold the ink in the sponge and it leaks out fairly quickly. I've been filling the cartridges in the same way by using the plug hole above the reservoir. I'm sealing the cartridges in the same way with little rubber plugs and then duct taping over the top. It is odd, because I never had leakage problems with the ip4000 cartridges.

Does anyone have any idea why this is?

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Which method did you use to open the plug hole? Did you push the ball in or extract it with a sharp screw?

Sometimes when the ball is driven in, there is damage to the opening by breaking away some of the plastic. This can lead to a poor seal by the rubber plug.

If the top of the rubber plug sticks up a bit, it may prevent the duct tape from doing the back-up seal you wanted. I would try the duct tape alone instead of the rubber plug plus the duct tape, just to see if there is any difference. The duct tape may not be too trustworthy, but this test could tell you if the rubber plug is not working as it should.

I have done successful sealing using a high quality electrical tape. Some good vinyl tapes seal well and don't ever leave a gum residue behind when peeled off. For long term usage, I prefer a stainless steel screw with little "O" ring.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
I agree with cannonfodder,use screws.It's gotta be an air leak(almost always into the reservoir unless you drilled a hole somewhere else).I don't use a o-ring,but use a #8 ss screw(from Lowes) that has a head with a tapered underside(not flat like a pan head).I feel like the taper gives a better seal.I,too,remove the "ball" and put the screw there.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
They are correct. if your cartridge is leaking, air is getting in. I have used a small $8.00 glue gun for years to seal the holes that I use for refilling, and have never had a problem. A stainless small screw with an o-ring also works well.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
If you are using the german Durchstichmethod you won't have to close the refill hole you made and ink will remain perfectly in the ink compartment without leaking. This is the most easiest method of refilling and no risk of ink leaking out of the cartridge. And besides if someone opens your printer it looks like the cartridge are all new, as you can't see any drilled holes in your cartridges.

Andrew

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,
You guys are right that it is a sealing problem. I've temporarily sealed up the cartridge with a glue gun borrowed from a friend and it seems to be holding up so far. :)

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
When I started refilling bci-6 carts about four years ago most instructions described sealing the fill hole with a glue gun. Read through the entire thread on sealing the fill hole on this forum. Very instructive. You will see that someone had been using duct tape and it failed. Neil Slade recommended blue plugs from Computer Friends. They fit the factory fill hole. They are very fast to use as they have a tab that you can grip and easily remove and replace. Many of us, myself included prefer the screw/O-ring seal, and some use a tapered head screw without an O-ring. The only failure I had with the O-ring technique was when one got old and stretched out. I now check them during refilling and replace them when necessary. The German technique, which users claim needs no sealing, looks interesting, but I'm satisfied with the technique I''m using.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
There is a problem with the German method that nobody ever reported it. When you inject ink into the reserve tank, which is almost empty to begin with, air will be forced out. The amount of air to be forced out is the same of the volume of ink injected in. This air has no where to escape but trying to go through the sponge and find the vent as well the ink fill hole to escape out of the cartridge. The problem is the air won't come out as air only. It usually drives a lot of ink along with it. As a result while you are injecting ink into the cartridge ink (and air) will come out from the vent and the ink fill hole at the same time. Very messy. This problem does not exist if you are filling a new empty ink cartridge that has no ink in it yet. If the sponge still has some ink then it is almost impossible to use the German method as ink will keep coming out through the vent and the ink fill hole.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Actually, I did bring up the issue of air being forced out of the reservoir and into the sponge material, but I was concerned about the issue of air pockets causing bad ink flow. See this link:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=9778#p9778

Have you actually tried the German method and experienced an ink mess? I thought everyone that had actually tried it reported that it was very clean, they didn't even have to wear gloves.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I tried the German method and discovered the messy problem. As soon as I began to inject ink air was pushed out through the sponge chamber and took a lot of ink along with it. The small hole I drilled is not big but there is enough room for ink to come out. As long as there is ink in the sponge it will be forced out by the air wanting to come out.