Probably daft Q - Purging Cli-521

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
I want to purge some CLI-521/520 carts that have not been used for refilling but have been empty for some time.

Unlike the CLI-8's there is no way of telling when the sponge is really clean as the CLI-521 is black plastic apart from the window at the reservoir.

So, as I said probably a daft question but I am guessing I just have to keep forcing water through until it runs clear of any ink?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Redbrickman I just have to keep forcing water through until it runs clear of any ink?
When the water is clear then you have sufficiently cleaned your cartridge and you can think of refilling again.
You let the water dribble through the cartridge and it does the same job.. :)
If you need a way of getting the cartridge dry again, then have a look at ghwellsjr's method.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5382

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Thank you Hat,

As I thought, wait until it runs clear, same instructions as doing Sunday roast except I usually burn it :)

Unfortunately the water here resembles powdered calcium:(

I have found a large squeeze bottle of the type used for dispensing ketchup, never used, so perfectly clean.

I'll rig it up so that it seals the top hole in the cart and just force the distilled water through slowly.

ghwellsjr's idea for drying them afterwards is great. No heat, just gradual capillary action ;)