Pro9500 mki, Matte Black not printing at all.

alvy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi, I was busy moving house and did not print on this printer for 2 mths. When I did a nozzle check just now, all colors except matte black were printing perfectly. The entire matte black print area was empty. Ink is fully filled with precision colors, and when i used my finger to push the sponge stub at the print head of the matte black, i noticed ink pushed out of the nozzles easily which suggested that they were not clogged. could this be due to a burnt print head? thing is, i seldom use it but i do print nozzle checks every 2 weeks to prevent clogs up till i move house which i neglect it for 2 months. is there any diagnostics software or procedure to perform to conclude whether if it is a dead print head, faulty purge unit or something else?

thanks!

Alvin

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
alvy
is there any diagnostics software or procedure to perform to conclude whether if it is a dead print head, faulty purge unit or something else?
Unfortunately there isnt but you can make one yourself.
Take a spare MBK cartridge and empty it of nearly all of the ink (Leave about one ml inside) then reset the chip first of all.

Now top up the cart with some Windex, water and alcohol (40, 50, 10 mix) pop that into your printer
and run a normal head clean but only on the left bank of the print head followed by a nozzle check.

See if there is any black (Very light) printing in your nozzle check at all, there should be some
then this time do a deep head clean (Same side) and run an nozzle check straight after.

Now you should have some good signs of black appearing on your nozzle check and when you have
then put back in your normal MBK cart and do a normal head clean
and print a nozzle check to view the results, which should be back to normal by now..

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I ran into this twice before, because I did not use the printer for over 3 months and another for around 2 months.
What i did was simply rinse the printhead nozzles out and flushed water down the MBK channel under the faucet. Pat dry ( not on the nozzles) and replace....restart the printer, print a few things out to flush out any water and all will be OK again.

alvy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
so, both hat and mike do not think it has anything to do with burnt head? that's a relief. I will try mike's method 1st as it seemed easier.

thanks

alvy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
alvy said:
so, both hat and mike do not think it has anything to do with burnt head? that's a relief. I will try mike's method 1st as it seemed easier.

thanks
it worked!!.. however, instead of going through with tap water, i was flushing it many times over hot water. Finally, i used a syringe and push water through the ink pad which finally pushed out visible tiny solids from the nozzle. I repeat the syringing until only clear water drips out from the nozzle. a quick nozzle checked showed perfect printing nozzles.. hurray!!

thanks guys!

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Good news Alvy, old Hat & Mike are very brainy a:)