Pro9000 & MarkII printhead problems

gpalm

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000, Pro9000 MarkII,
Aloha Everyone,
Gpalm; from Hawaii, your latest newbie. I switched from Epson 1280's which I used heavley for about 10 years, to a canon Pro9000 on a trade about 4 years ago. This printer has always been a workhorse and I was very happy, so about two years ago I found a used Pro 9000 MarkII that was selling here locally. For a while they both were great, but the Mark II became severely clogged and everything I threw at it failed. I might have been to aggressive, the last time I tested it I got the 5 blinking lights, printhead failure. I could switch out my printhead from my other My pro9000, and it printed, but the clogging issue was still there. Well, I now have two printers that show printhead failure.
After that long a winded commentary, I need to replace the printheads, or do I? I noticed there are two different printheads QY6-0076-000 or a QY6-0055-000 , Which one is best? Also, have you an reliability for the china and hong kong sellers? I need some fresh direction, my business is not functioning at the moment.
Gpalm

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@gpalm, my first question is: did you found out the reason the first print head got clogged, and did the second head clog up straight away or sometime later from the same problem, what cartridges are you using, OEM or compatible, and did you do a nozzle check before your lost both heads.

If we can find the reasons behind the failure of both your print head, we can prevent the same thing from happening again and save you awful lot of trouble, can you give us specific steps and details as to how the failures first manifested themselves.

There is only one head available for your printer and that is the QY6-0076-000, and you should only get it from a Canon dealer, the heads coming in from China maybe be very cheap, but they are all second hand and there’re reliability is questionable.

I reckon you should cut your losses and get a new Pro 100 for about the same cost as a new print head, that way you have the chance to start again with a new and better printer...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
For a $59 Canon Pro 100 after rebates, see my post at https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-pro-100-for-59.12018/#post-103241

I do not know if the Free Shipping applies to Hawaii.

You may also look at Adorama.com for their deals as well. Similar if not identical to B&HPhoto deals. Note in rebate that it may only be one rebate per offer for all authorized retailers, so you may need to wait till January to get a rebate again.

I recommend you eventually get two at this or similar low price if nothing more than the print heads and inks! Just wait till the next rebate cycle.

If you love the 9000 series then you will love this printer.

vienna01

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX922/Canon LBP6230dw

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@vienna01 - I do not see the place to enter a promo code either. My guess is the $59 promotion is over and now is $129 after rebate.

As far as empty CLI-42 cartridges for refilling -- you could try to source some OEM Canon's from eBay or Craigslist (where some people also part out new cartridges), or you could buy aftermarket refillables from Precision Colors in Canada, or you could buy OEM Canon empties from Octoink in the UK.

You'll need to ask Precision Colors owner mikling, or start a new thread on the forum, about the reliability of PC's aftermarket CLI-42 cartridges.

No doubt it is preferable to use OEM Canon cartridges if possible.