Pro9000 Hobbicolors Inks ... Magenta Cast

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I'll have to admit (ashamed) that I have been lurking here on these forums nearly every day for the past few months, soaking it in, learning from all of the fantastic information that is available on this forum. (Special thanks to mikling, websnail, pharmacist, ghwellsjr!)

Because of all of you, over the past few months I have forgone my HPs that I used to refill and have bought several Canon IP4700s, a IP4600, IP4300, MX860, and lastly a Pro9000 (not MKII), all of which I have been refilling with Hobbicolors ink with good satisfaction. The only thing I haven't been completely satisfied with until the Pro9000 was the Hobbicolors Pigment ink, it is pretty good but not as good as the Canon Original IMO. So I ordered some KMP from Octoinkjet which I will try as soon as my PGI cartridge is empty.

I come to you now to ask your advice. I flushed and refilled all eight of the original Canon cartridges on the Pro9000. I printed a few test images and a nozzle check, everything is working fine there. The images have a magenta cast when compared to those I have printed from my IP4300 with Hobbicolors. To put it this way: everyone looks tan. The pinks look too dark (more reddish than pink).

The white spaces look a little reddish/tan. I could make this go away but then the blacks were bluish.

I spent hours yesterday trying to remedy the problem using the print driver. I could get the flesh tones to be decent, but then my blacks began looking slightly blue in the light... I tried a number of different combinations but it always seemed I was robbing Peter to pay Paul. I couldn't get it all right. I tried playing with the intensity/brightness/contrast as well as different Canon paper profiles.

I am using Kirkland Glossy 4x6 paper (the newest stuff) and HP Advanced 8.5x11" Glossy Paper. They both have the color shift (which has not been as pronounced on my 4 color Canons).

Can I fix this using print driver settings or should I invest in something like Profile Prism?

For those of you who have Profile Prism is it too difficult to use? Can I make it work with the built in scanner in my MX860 or HP C7280?

I appreciate all of your time. Now that I have soaked in a little more information I'm hoping that I can begin contributing more with my own experiences.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Could it be that you accidentally put normal strength magenta into your photo magenta cartridge ? Check it with a cotton swab and dip it onto the ink outlet of your corresponding cartridge and make a stripe on paper. Do this with both the magenta and the photo magenta cart and see if there is a difference in colour. However: I do not think this will be the case, but it could be possible. Just to disclose these types of errors.

The HC-UW-8 magenta/light magenta are known to be rather strong and vivid and I had to correct this with a dedicated profile to remove that strong magenta cast.

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I just went out and double checked and all of the colors are correct.

Pharmacist, do you have any experience with profile prism? I do not need 100% accurate colors, but the colors are off enough at this point that even my wife was asking why everyone appeared so much tanner. The granite stone also has a gold cast.

Is the software extremely difficult to use? Can I get away with my MX860 scanner? I want to make sure this will help my situation before I spend $79 on the software!

Thanks!

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi RMM,

actually I use a hardware spectrophotometer to create my profiles. I do not think the Profile Prism software is difficult to use: there are a few forum members using this software and they seem to be very happy with the results. Maybe one on them could answer your particular question.

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I ordered the Profile Prism software last night. It is a big investment, I'm hoping that it will work out well. I will keep everyone updated. I have been saving some of my printouts along the way so I will be able to post them when the time comes.

Thanks again,
Richard

marceltho

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have a Pixma Pro mark 11 and use Hobbicolors as well. Had some tans in it as well, I use the printer to print brochures, and for my own holiday photos, I have no high " demands, but as with you, had a tan in it.
I use the Kirkland paper as well, did a lot of test printing, perhaps not the most professional way, and many on this forum will probably laugh in my face for doing it that way, so be it.....
I used the guide lines on this page, to adjust my printer settings :

http://www.normankoren.com/printer_calibration.html

Further on the page you see several images with tans, and how to adjust towards those tans.
I print through Photoshop, I came up with the following settings that are good enough for me:

ICC profile: Canon Pro 9000 mark11<pr>3 photo paper pro 11
Cyan +20
Magenta +5
Yellow -5

Perhaps you need to make a few more adjustments yourself, the URL above is very helpful. For me I am pretty happy with the end result.

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the settings! I just tried them and I still end up with a slight bronze cast (not true gray) in my test printout. I have been able to get pretty close with the test image before (with -18 magenta) but then some of the darker spots start looking blue.

The closet I've been able to get was
Cyan+10
Magenta -18
Yellow -5

Still isn't right in all the photos though.

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Here are a few scans I did to show what I am experiencing. The colors in the scans are not 100% accurate, but I have now updated them with a 5 pass scan that looks very accurate. Look at the greyscale in the Pro9000 Print! It is very goldish/tannish.
Original
frontier_color57s-srgb.jpg

First:
MX860, Canon OEM Inks, Photo Paper Pro, High Quality No Adjustments (Auto Color Management from Printer)
MX860OEM-1.jpg

Second:
IP4300, Hobbicolors UW8, Photo Paper Pro, High Quality, No Adjustments
ip4300.jpg

Third:
Pro9000, Hobbicolors UW8 (All 8 Cartridges), Photo Paper Pro, High Quality, No Adjustments
Pro9000.jpg

You can see a slight cast in the IP4300 with the Hobbicolors, but nothing objectionable. I haven't experienced anything objectionable with my iP4700s with Hobbicolors either. The Pro9000 creates a HIGHLY noticeable cast with this inkset.

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Updated Photos With New Scans (5 Pass).