Pro100 refilled cartridges: strange orange tint on photos after a while

timdafweak

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 100
I noticed that the pictures I printed to take to work with me, slowly started turning 'orange' over the course of a few months. The same photos (printed at the same time) placed inside a frame (under glass), have no such problem. The colors are as bright as the day I printed them out.

It has gotten so bad, that nothing of the original photo left outside a frame can be discerned at this point. I have been using inks from Oktoinkjets, and the media printed on is Canon Glossy II, and Semi Gloss paper (size matters not).

Any insight would be wonderful.

timdafweak

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 100
Sorry just want to add - the ones in my office faded over ~ 1 year.

Others that I printed for my son's class faded within 10 days. :|

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Sunlight, heat, humidity, ozone, radon, tobacco smoke, and other toxins/vapors in the air can affect fading. Both paper and ink are involved in fading - some are better and some are worse when it comes to fade characteristics. Like a box of chocolates, you never know what will happen until you try the ink-paper combo, though "Universal" or inexpensive materials often result in substandard performance.

Non-OEM aftermarket dye-based inks will fade faster than OEM Canon inks. Maybe the image you had behind glass was better sealed from air and the toxins in it. Maybe the glass (and frame) kept harmful UV light from altering the dye-ink and paper chemical characteristics.

If longevity is desired, use OEM ink and papers. Otherwise, you an always print another image.

timdafweak

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 100
Thank you @stratman - that does seem to ring true. I am just surprised that this should start happening more of late. I wonder if it is happening more lately, because my Ink, and Paper stocks are getting old.

Ink, as I wrote, I have been using Oktoinkjet's refills, although the last time I bought from him was in '17, and for paper, official Canon Photo Paper Glossy II, and Semi Gloss from '14. I could go premium, but seems a bit overkill for the odd photo I print now, and then.

In the meantime for the holiday pix, I may end up Laminating the print. :/

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Paper stocks are getting old.
there is a longer term effect with papers, it's not just that the inks are fading - non-OEM inks fade much faster - but the optical brighteners found in most photo papers tend to deteriorate as well leaving a yellowing effect to papers which orginally looked white. And it's the same as with the inks - the OBA's fade faster as they are exposed to the environmental effects but not in the box you keep the papers in before printing. Laminating is not the cure to kill all those effects - you may get different results if you do hot or cold laminating, and the glue may impact the dye molecules as well in the longer term.
As @stratman is stating above there is no refill alternative available to the Chromalife Canon inks in regards to fading. Pigment inks perform much better in this respect, as well refill inks but that's a different subject.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Ink, as I wrote, I have been using Oktoinkjet's refills, although the last time I bought from him was in '17, and for paper, official Canon Photo Paper Glossy II, and Semi Gloss from '14.
Trust in what Ink Stained Fingers wrote.

Also, while The Hat and I are known to use years old inks, and probably papers, optimal longevity of ink is often stated to be TWO years. This is what Canon told me, and I believe so does Octoinkjet. All this depends on storage and handling methods. Cool, dry, dark, and in sealed containers are optimal for ink and paper. Avoid more than brief exposure to the environment.

A contaminent in the Magenta could be cause for your issue. So could be too much exposure to light, heat, or moisture. Most likely it is what Ink Stain Fingers wrote.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It has gotten so bad, that nothing of the original photo left outside a frame can be discerned at this point. I have been using inks from Oktoinkjets, and the media printed on is Canon Glossy II, and Semi Gloss paper (size matters not).
It’s a fairly simple formula:- 3rd party inks are by their nature far cheaper, so something has to give and that is longevity, sure OEM dye inks are much better for longevity when used with OEM paper but way more costly.

Other brands of paper may well work much better with your inks, and OEM paper is a waste using 3rd party inks because there are no benefits.. The other alternative is pigment inks… King for longevity…

bhill

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA PRO-100
Sunlight, heat, humidity, ozone, radon, tobacco smoke, and other toxins/vapors in the air can affect fading. Both paper and ink are involved in fading - some are better and some are worse when it comes to fade characteristics. Like a box of chocolates, you never know what will happen until you try the ink-paper combo, though "Universal" or inexpensive materials often result in substandard performance.

Non-OEM aftermarket dye-based inks will fade faster than OEM Canon inks. Maybe the image you had behind glass was better sealed from air and the toxins in it. Maybe the glass (and frame) kept harmful UV light from altering the dye-ink and paper chemical characteristics.

If longevity is desired, use OEM ink and papers. Otherwise, you an always print another image.
Do you have proof of this? Please supply proof to your statement. I have been using Precision inks and RedRiver paper, properly mounted, matted and framed without issue..going on 2 years hanging on various walls without ANY shifts...

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Do you have proof of this? Please supply proof to your statement.
There is quite some information at the Wilhelm research internet site
www.wilhelm-research.com/ and at the Aardenburg archives
www.aardenburg-imaging.com/light-fade-test-results/
You need to register, it's for free, and you can get to lots of test data

And I did lots of testing over the last years, mainly with Epson inks , but as well a few Canon and HP inks
Just look to this link, but there are plenty more , as well with results by other members, if you use the search function
for 'fading'
www.printerknowledge.com/threads/gloss-optimizer-and-fading-of-dye-inks.11608/#post-97640
properly mounted, matted and framed without issue..going on 2 years hanging on various walls
There are a few measures which can extend the longevity of dye prints - e.g. protection behind glass, kept away in an album, using the best possible ink/paper combination, but all that will not raise the lower performance of 3rd party inks to the level of OEM inks.

without ANY shifts...
Did you measure it ?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Do you have proof of this?
This is forum consensus based on personal experiences, multiple and repeatable experiments, and information from the testing by respected web sites such as the one Ink Stained Fingers posted.

I am happy your results were affirmative and hope everyone has the same with their third party inks and/or papers. :thumbsup