Pro 9000 Printhead Unclogging - Video

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
Last week I picked up a Pro 9000 with clogged Y, M and C. Clogged as in: absolutely no sign of these colors on the nozzle check. The printer wasn't used for quite some time and all 3 clogged colors were aftermarket cartridges (which I threw out right away).
Soaking in Windex and running a cleaning cycle didn't work so I fell back to some brute force.

I attached a tube to the ink inlet hole on the printer (removed the rubber docking piece first to have more grip on the inlet). I then attached a syringe with lukewarm water to the tube and forced water through the tube. Initially the tube came off the hole, but when I gradually increased the pressure on the syringe eventually water started flowingout of the printhead. Eventually I got two flows of very thin water mist coming out of the head.

I made a video:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48948862@N07/11034516526/

After I handled all three clogged colors with this treatment I let the printhead air dry. After one more cleaning cycle everything worked ok again!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
AWESOME JOB! :ya :clap :woot

We love success stories. :thumbsup

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Last week I picked up a Pro 9000 with clogged Y, M and C. Clogged as in: absolutely no sign of these colors on the nozzle check. The printer wasn't used for quite some time and all 3 clogged colors were aftermarket cartridges (which I threw out right away).
Soaking in Windex and running a cleaning cycle didn't work so I fell back to some brute force.

I attached a tube to the ink inlet hole on the printer (removed the rubber docking piece first to have more grip on the inlet). I then attached a syringe with lukewarm water to the tube and forced water through the tube. Initially the tube came off the hole, but when I gradually increased the pressure on the syringe eventually water started flowingout of the printhead. Eventually I got two flows of very thin water mist coming out of the head.

I made a video:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48948862@N07/11034516526/

After I handled all three clogged colors with this treatment I let the printhead air dry. After one more cleaning cycle everything worked ok again!

Very clear explanation, and the video helps.

How long did you leave the head to air dry?

I ask because I fried a head a year back. Think I did not leave it long enough to thoroughly dry. Too impatient I guess, and paid the price.

RS

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
How long did you leave the head to air dry?

A couple of hours. I think 2 to 3. I put the printhead on a towel on a moderately heated radiator and turned it over a coupe of times.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Roy I don't think the printhead should be thoroughly dry before using as this may fry the head with no moisture in the head before the ink gets down to it. The electrics at the back I think should be thoroughly dry though.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Roy I don't think the printhead should be thoroughly dry before using as this may fry the head with no moisture in the head before the ink gets down to it. The electrics at the back I think should be thoroughly dry though.

Excellent point Rod.

When drying I now realise I need to differentiate between the electronics on the back (Must be dry), and the input, output tubes at the bottom, which I am now learning can tolerate small amount of moisture.

Never stop learning do we! Too quick we get old, and too slow we get smart. (School of hard knocks)

RS

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I'm glad I mentioned it before I forgot it:)

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
scan002.jpg

A birthday card I received this week!
With credit to Pigment Productions Ltd

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Emu:

How did you get this picture of The Hat? Please adjust your colors - the hat should be green.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Appy Burfday Ian:)