Pro 1000 bandings

TDE8

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pro 1000
Hi,

I have a question, on my Canon Pro 1000 the nozzle check is incomplete on the black matt ink section.
I've proceeded to several cleaning cycles including a deep one but still the same..

When I print on regular or matte paper I've a thin bandings on the black parts, but not on glossy paper probably because it used the photo black ink.
I've contacted the Canon customer services and they suggest changing the printhead (2y old)..
Before buying one, can I do a manual cleaning using cleaning fluid? Thanks

My question is can I do a manual cleaning
IMG_7895 copy.jpg

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
Hi @TDE8.

First I would say "don't" do anymore cleaning cycles. If the ink is really plugging a channels it would only serve to add to the plug.

I would recommend to begin by removing the cartridges, lightly stick tape over the cartridge ink outlets to keep them moist. Don't let any tape sticky part touch the outlet baton.

Next in a flat dish put about 1/6 inch of Windex, but the "original", not the deodorized (i.e. Windex-D, or similar). Set the printhead with the channels down into the Windex. Let it sit for a while. Don't get the Windex on the contacts. I don't know if it hurts them, but that is my suggestion.

Next is where your investment in time "may" make a difference. You can do it say for a couple of hours, try it, but read my pitch below. If it doesn't work repeat with longer soaks. I had one nasty plug a few years ago. The two hour soak did not do the trick. I let it sit for two days, and it did unplug. But no guarantee, it purely "by chance".

When you take the printhead out of the soak, wipe the Windex off with a wet napkin, and then lightly with a dry napkin. Don't use paper towel, that may leave scratches or paper bits in the channels.

Next, use a vinyl eraser, not the pink scratchy ones, and clean the contacts, always going WITH the contact angles. Going against the contact angles you WILL damage the contacts. Make sure you wipe of any eraser bits with a napkin. Blowing is not enough. Again, be careful to go WITH the contact angles. You might be inclined to try this cleaning first (before the soak), but because you don't really know what is causing the channel(s) not to print, it's better to do the soak first.

Lastly I give my usual pitch: Don't do more that a couple of cleaning cycles per hour. There is heat involved and that is the enemy of any channel. Excessive heat in a channel only serves to make any plug harder.

Good Luck,
Fritz

Last edited:

TDE8

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pro 1000
Hi @TDE8.

First I would say "don't" do anymore cleaning cycles. If the ink is really plugging a channels it would only serve to add to the plug.

I would recommend to begin by removing the cartridges, lightly stick tape over the cartridge ink outlets to keep them moist. Don't let any tape sticky part touch the outlet baton.

Next in a flat dish put about 1/6 inch of Windex, but the "original", not the deodorized (i.e. Windex-D, or similar). Set the printhead with the channels down into the Windex. Let it sit for a while. Don't get the Windex on the contacts. I don't know if it hurts them, but that is my suggestion.

Next is where your investment in time "may" make a difference. You can do it say for a couple of hours, try it, but read my pitch below. If it doesn't work repeat with longer soaks. I had one nasty plug a few years ago. The two hour soak did not do the trick. I let it sit for two days, and it did unplug. But no guarantee, it purely "by chance".

When you take the printhead out of the soak, wipe the Windex off with a wet napkin, and then lightly with a dry napkin. Don't use paper towel, that may leave scratches or paper bits in the channels.

Next, use a vinyl eraser, not the pink scratchy ones, and clean the contacts, always going WITH the contact angles. Going against the contact angles you WILL damage the contacts. Make sure you wipe of any eraser bits with a napkin. Blowing is not enough. Again, be careful to go WITH the contact angles. You might be inclined to try this cleaning first (before the soak), but because you don't really know what is causing the channel(s) not to print, it's better to do the soak first.

Lastly I give my usual pitch: Don't do more that a couple of cleaning cycles per hour. There is heat involved and that is the enemy of any channel. Excessive heat in a channel only serves to make any plug harder.

Good Luck,
Fritz
Thanks Fritz, I'm gonna try your method !

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
My question is can I do a manual cleaning
As this printer is a Pro 1000, I wouldn’t try to remove the print head until I’d got a new one, nothing will be gained by external cleaning..

Post a Nozzle check..

Last edited:

TDE8

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pro 1000
As this printer is a Pro 1000, I wouldn’t try to remove the print head until I’d got a new one, nothing will be gained by external cleaning..

Post a Nozzle check..
Thank you I didn't know that, here the nozzle check

Attachments

• IMG_7985.JPG
    IMG_7985.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 80

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have a question, on my Canon Pro 1000 the nozzle check is incomplete on the black matt ink section.
But your latest nozzle check looks ok ?
When I print on regular or matte paper I've a thin bandings on the black parts, but not on glossy paper probably because it used the photo black ink.
This seems a bit strange, it should print the same on both paper surfaces, unless you told it to print on glossy, or the machine is set to detect paper type..
It might also help to let the printer sit overnight, before trying it again..

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
As a nugget of intel, I found this teardown video on YouTube for the PFI-10 printhead (for the Pro-1000) which may well prove useful in the future.