Pro-100 Setup Grrrr.....

NurseBob

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
First, as a newbie to this forum, it appears that there's a lot of valuable information available. I look forward to the resource! :)

I just installed my new Pro-100, and it's certainly a very nice printer. I look forward to many high quality prints!

However, Canon continues to irritate with their brain-dead install programs. This applies not only to the new printer, but all of the other Canon products I have, an EOS 40D, some HD camcorders and several snapshot cameras.
First, Canon insists on not allowing the consumer to select the install drive, counter to almost any software vendor I've dealt with. My C: drive is set up to be the system drive, and if I can avoid it, I never install apps on the drive. In order to keep my system performance acceptable, I generally build my systems with a SSD system drive of somewhat limited capacity, coupled with multiple secondary high capacity drives for apps and data. So, when an install routine forces itself on to my boot drive, it grates. Given that I don't generally need anything beyond drivers, I am ultimately able to step past this irritating behavior by either not installing, or removing offending apps. But I don't care for companies that insist I'm too stupid to manage a software installation. I've done tech support (before becoming a nurse, I was a software engineer for 15+ years), and I do know the pain of providing support to clueless users, but I still don't believe the appropriate solution is to remove all user options, that's just insulting. :(

The actual setup of the printer was straight forward until the installation of the cartridges. While I was unpackaging the 8th cartridge, the printer decided I was done and that it was complete, hiding the print head. After some fiddling and a restart, it did agree that is was, in fact, missing the light cyan cartridge, allowing me to complete that installation. Since I assumed I'd missed something in the setup instructions, I did review them, looking for some note that they needed to be installed in some specific order, but there is no such direction. While not the end of the world, it was just one of those surprising, and mildly confidence-damaging moments. :(

OK, enough of a low-grade rant. I do like my Canon products, and will continue to purchase their products as long as they meet my needs. But I do hope that the team that manages the design of their install UI will at least join the late 20th century and allow room for users that want/need more than a "one button" install for dummies.

Bob

Stay well...

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I always install only drivers not the canon crap software, you can start the "install app for dummies" it unpacks to windows temp directory, then you have to copy that so the install you started will not delete it when you close it. You can install it as usual with add remove printer by pointin to the folder you just copied. Also canon has printer driver setup on their website, its only ~17mb i doubt that even with SSD it will be wasteful for you c: drive.

NurseBob

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Smile said:
...canon has printer driver setup on their website, its only ~17mb i doubt that even with SSD it will be wasteful for you c: drive.
Good idea! I can live with drivers and other "system" software; just don't want the other bloat. Thanks! :)

Bob

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Also the Canon PRO printers do not allow you too much time with the print head carriage in the cart change position before it decides that it is done.

It is best to have all the carts unpacked and at the ready to be inserted in the print head.

NurseBob

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
jtoolman said:
It is best to have all the carts unpacked and at the ready to be inserted in the print head.
Next time! :)

Thanks,

bob