Pro 100 problems....

George in Georgia

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 100, Epson R1800
Well, I've just refilled my carts for the second time. But there's a problem. Grey and Photo Magenta are flashing. The on screen display had indicated this, and showed most of the other carts as having less ink than they should. I made 2 prints, very nice. Now the printer says its unable to display ink levels.

I've removed each cart and wiped off the chip contacts, made no difference.

After turning the printer off and then back on it is now displaying ink levels, but still says that grey and photo magenta are very low and other inks aren't full.

I hope someone has some ideas about this!

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Try resetting the cartridge again and see whether the flash goes away. It is possible that a bad reset was done. Remember to keep the chip in contact with the resetter until it blanks and then turns solid. The initial flash is NOT the indicator that a reset was performed. Wait for the light to light up solid for one second. Since the resetter is not battery operated there is no fear of battery drain on a long light keep it on till solid.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
That did the job. Many thanks; this forum is wonderful!

Not to mention that according to my primitive maths the solution to that problem took all of 10 minutes.

Sheesh!, any self respecting help line insists on a twenty minute wait just to get your attention, so you can prove you are serious by not disconnecting.

RS

George in Georgia

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yep, twenty minutes at least, then confusion over what is the question .... and then at least two different answers!

Second refill of the carts, think I'll try Profile Prism to do some profiling.....

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yep, twenty minutes at least, then confusion over what is the question .... and then at least two different answers!

Second refill of the carts, think I'll try Profile Prism to do some profiling.....

Regarding profiles! Precision colours has a many profiles for their inks and the Pro100 using popular stock already for download.

Very simple and all ready to go. Try their website or ask mikling. If all else fails I am sure Joe T. will give you all the details on profile use.

Be cautious about profile prism. I was an early user in the first version, which was available before SpyderPrint and Colormunki came on the market. It works as advertised (More or less) but very dependent on the scanner used and quality of scan. Plus somewhat finicky to optimize.

I would advise a hardware colorimeter or spectrophotometer made profile rather than use profile prism if you prefer to make your own profiles.

If you do a lot of refilling you will save the hardware cost in the first year. If you don't do a lot of refilling, then the canned downloadable profiles should be good enough.

my 2 cents

RS

George in Georgia

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
I used Profile Prism with my Epson V700 scanner to generate profiles for the Epson R1800 before it quit working. The results were satisfactory, but a bit fiddly, as you note.

I could try an interesting experiment, comparing Precision Colors profile to one from Profile Prism for the same paper.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I used Profile Prism with my Epson V700 scanner to generate profiles for the Epson R1800 before it quit working. The results were satisfactory, but a bit fiddly, as you note.

I could try an interesting experiment, comparing Precision Colors profile to one from Profile Prism for the same paper.

Well I could send you some of my colourmunki profiles in return for your equivalence PP versions. Depends if we use the same papers.

Mine are mostly for Red River papers, with a few Ilford Galerie papers that now seem to have vanished from the marketplace.

RS